Community Appearance Commission selects winners for Holiday Storefront Decorations Awards
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, December 2, 2009
The Salisbury Community Appearance Commission recently selected winners for the Fourth Annual Holiday Storefront Decorations Awards.
The awards are designed to promote a festive atmosphere downtown during the holiday season. Downtown Salisbury Inc. has encouraged downtown shopkeepers to enhance their window displays year-round, as well as during the holiday season.
Jury members viewed more than 60 seasonal displays created by downtown businesses. After a spirited discussion, the jury settled on eight different awards to honor the most creative efforts of the shopkeepers.
The award for the Best Overall Holiday Display was given to Salisbury Square Antiques at 111 S. Main St. for its imaginative use of window space, creating a charming story of Christmases past.
The other awards were:
– Best Themed Display: Wooden Stone, 106 S. Main St.
– Most Creative Display: A Step in Time, 5 Easy St.
– Best Display for Children (also noted for effective lighting): Just the Thing, 103 N. Main St.
– Most “Tasteful” Display: Tastebuds Coffee Shop, 106 N. Main St.
– Most Beautiful Display: Caniche, 200 S. Main St.
– Most Nostalgic Display: Bernhardt Hardware Co., 113 N. Main St.
– Best New Shop Display (creative use of merchandise for seasonal decoration): Hot Junk, 205 S. Main St.
All winners will be invited to the Community Appearance Commission’s Biennial Awards program where they will be honored for their contributions.