‘Car buyer’ takes off with man’s car during test drive
A man posing as a car buyer sped away in the vehicle after he asked to test drive it, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
Matthew Wayne Smith of Salisbury, owner of the red Honda valued at $11,000, told deputies he met with the suspect Dec. 28. After he drove for a short time, the suspect asked to drive.
When Smith got out of the vehicle to move to the passenger side, the suspect locked the doors and took off south down I-85.
In other Sheriff’s Office reports:
* Tamara F. Riggs, 640 Clark Road, reported a burglar broke into her home Dec. 27 and stole a television, a turkey and a ham. Total loss was $852.
* Crystal Dawn Fisher, 38, 350 Small Sifford Way, Rockwell, was charged Dec. 28 with assault on a child under 12. She was released on a written promise to appear in court Feb. 1.
* Jason S. Wagner, 745 Joe Lentz Road, reported items valued at $128 stolen from his home Dec. 28.
* Michael Ray Grinstaff of China Grove reported items stolen from a house at 2850 Lipe Road, China Grove, Dec. 27 or 28.
* Donald Vichard Wilhelm of Salisbury reported personal checks in a leather binder were stolen from his vehicle while it was parked in the 100 block of Beagle Club Road Dec. 19.
* Lovie B. Reid, 235 Irby Lane, reported a diamond ring and leather jacket stolen from his home between Dec. 23 and 28. Total loss was $1,350.
* Mark Franklin Funderburk reported a 22-foot ladder valued at $200 was stolen from his work truck while it was parked at his 275 Harvest Lane, China Grove, home the night of Dec. 27.
* Julia Elizabeth Laney, 974 Providence Church Road, reported mail was stolen from her mailbox Dec. 28.
* Woodrow Vincent Arthur of Rockwell reported someone threw an object that broke the windshield of a Rowe Trucking vehicle he was driving Dec. 28 on I-85 between mile marker 65 and 66. Damage totaled $400.
* Nancy W. Possidente, 52, 4850 Foster Road, Cleveland, was charged Dec. 29 with simple assault based on a complaint by Michael Possidente, 350 Grants Creek Road. Trial date is Feb. 1.
* David Lee Winecoff, 18, 4850 Foster Road, Cleveland; Nick Troutman, 18, 525 Farmhouse Road; Carl Lyerly, 88, 4870 Foster Road, Cleveland; Lisa A. Perry, 36, 198 Springhill Drive, Mocksville; and Dustin T. Waller, 19, 933 Statesville Blvd., Cleveland, were all charged Dec. 29 with simple assault based on a complaint by Michael Possidente, 250 Grants Creek Road. Trial date is Feb. 1.
* Kenneth Paul Tippins, 45, 104 Ferndale Drive, was charged Dec. 29 with larceny of a motor vehicle based on a complaint by J.D. Hurst, 304 Hurst Drive. Tippins was released on a written promise to appear in court Feb. 8.
* Deanna M. Martin, 160 Evergreen Drive, reported that a garden hose had been stolen from a locked closet in her carport between Dec. 27 and 29. Total loss was $50.
* Carey A. Williamson, 1840 Peeler Road, reported an attempted burglary at his home between Dec. 25 and 29. There was $25 damage to a window screen.
* Anthony B. Linn reported a $4,000 pressure washer was stolen from A.B. Linn, his 7022 Jones Road business, Dec. 28 or 29.
* Timothy James Kelly, 47, 475 White Farm Road, was charged Dec. 31 with felony obtaining property by false pretense. He is accused of taking $2,850 from Carey Graham, 5385 Sherrill’s Ford Road, to install a heat pump and not completing the work. He was held under $2,500 secured bond pending a Jan. 2 first appearance in court.
* Matthew Scott Trexler, 450 St. Stephen’s Church Road, Gold Hill, reported two four-wheelers had been stolen from a storage building on his property between Dec. 28 and 30. Total loss was $11,700.
* Delores Ann Garmon, 330 Imperial Drive, reported items stolen from her home during a burglary between Dec. 28 and 30. Total loss was $370.
* Walter Lowe Gainers Jr., 45, 345 Timber Creek Lane, was charged Dec. 30 with assault on a female based on a complaint by Anne Tuttle Gaines, 210 Sweet Pea Lane. He was held pending a Jan. 2 bond hearing.
* Robert George James, 28, 227 KMJ Ranch Road, Troy, was charged Dec. 30 with possession of a Schedule II control substance and possession of drug paraphernalia during a traffic stop on I-85. He was held under $1,500 secured bond pending a Jan. 2 first appearance in court.
* Matthew Bodak, 18, 2740 Wright Ave., was charged Dec. 31 with injury to personal property and simple assault based on a complaint by Richard S. Dean, 1324 Arden Drive. Trial date is Jan. 18.
* Timothy Whitaker was charged Dec. 31 with theft of a $600 Charlotte Observer newspaper box from Ron’s Country Store, 3610 Mooresville Road.
* Robert Martin Herge, 7913 Old Concord Road, reported Dec. 31 that it appeared someone had been sleeping inside a motor home parked on his property between Dec. 17 and 31 and had taken a key to the vehicle.
* Jerry Max Eller, 3909 Old Concord Road, reported Dec. 31 that nine guns had been stolen from his home since Jan. 3, 2003.
* John Manuel Stirewalt, 1017 Roy Cline Road, Rockwell, reported the theft of tools valued at $465 from his outbuilding between Dec. 27 and 31.
* Ernest Joseph Taylor Jr., 809 Klondale Ave., Kannapolis, was charged Dec. 31 with being intoxicated and disruptive at Mikey’s One Stop, 1407 N. Main St., China Grove. He was released on a written promise to appear in court Jan. 17.
* Kathryn McKenzie Stillwell, 17950 Mooresville Road, Mooresville, reported jewelry and a television stolen during a burglary at her home Dec. 31 or Jan. 1. Total loss was $1,050.
* Mike Bostian of Salisbury reported the Dec. 30 theft of a Salisbury Post newspaper box valued at $400 from 2580 Airport Road.
* Kay Overcash Kepley, 1985 Sherrills Ford Road, reported $10,400 worth of jewelry stolen during a Jan. 1 burglary at her home. There was $100 damage to a door casing.
* Jerry Wayne Miller, 54, 3430 Shuping Mill Road, Rockwell, was charged Jan. 1 with a domestic violence protective order violation based on a complaint by Patricia Lunea Miller, 190 Crescent St., China Grove. He was held pending a bond hearing. Trial date is Feb. 7.
* Joyce Jones Hartman, 370 Ted Lane, reported someone tried to break into her home Jan. 1.
* Jody Ann Dill, 237 Excel Drive, Kannapolis, reported a $600 revolver stolen from her home Jan. 1.
* Robert Eugene Carroll, 212 N. Enochville Ave., Kannapolis, reported the theft of $465 worth of tools from his carport between Dec. 30 and Jan. 1.
* Wanda Perry Polk, 315 Freedom Drive, reported the Jan. 1 theft of a $500 motor bike from her home.
* Jacques Laurie Belliveau, 21, 2195 Barton Run, High Point, was charged Jan. 2 with misdemeanor larceny. He was held under $2,000 secured bond pending a Jan. 17 trial date.
* Robert Travis Nance of Granite Quarry reported a passenger jumped out of his taxi at 15465 Old Beatty Ford Road Jan. 2 without paying a $30 fare.
* Justin Euhl Banks of Davidson reported a pistol was stolen from the glove box of his van while it was parked at a friend’s house at 237 Excel Drive, Kannapolis, between Nov. 22 and 29.
* Lascelles Paul Fleming, 5020 Foster Road, Cleveland, reported someone broke a bedroom window at his home between Dec. 3 and 7.
* Veronica Garcia, 425 Stateman Drive, reported a $200 bicycle stolen from her property Jan. 1 or 2.
* Richard Darrell Hancock reported a $600 shotgun and a $1,200 laptop computer stolen during a burglary at 6704 Mooresville Highway between Dec. 31 and Jan. 2.
* Tajarvis Lee Little, 31, 612 Hawkinstown Road, was charged Jan. 2 with communicating threats based on a complaint by Kristi Luther Little, same address. He was held pending a Jan. 3 bond hearing.
* Jimmy Wayne Sheppard, 108 Tammy Road, reported a burglar caused $100 damage to a door frame at his home during a break-in between Dec. 29 and Jan. 2.
* David Maurico Arev Hurtado, 23, 11 Gold Hill Circle, was charged Jan. 3 with resisting a public officer, speeding and driving while license revoked. He was held under $2,000 secured bond pending a Feb. 16 trial date.