CONCORD A husband and wife died early Wednesday morning in house fire blamed on improper disposal of smoking material on the couch in the couples living room.
Coburn Overton Barbee Jr., 52, and Jacqueline Jean Harwell Barbee, 48, both of 187 Buffalo Ave in Concord were pronounced dead upon arrival at Northeast Medical Center.
Concord Fire and Life Safety was called to the house around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. Firefighters reported heavy fire and smoke coming from the front of the house, according to a press release.
The Barbees were found inside the house and transported to NorthEast. The house did have three working smoke alarms that were going off when firefighters arrived, the release said.
Damage to the house is estimated at $50,000.