By Jessie Burchette
Filing for municipal offices is now a month away.
Control of most municipal boards will be decided in the Nov. 6 election.
The filing period for those wanting to run for the various boards or councils is noon July 6, a Friday, through noon, July 20, also a Friday.
All candidates must file at the Rowan County Board of Elections Office, on the first floor of the County Administrative Offices Building, 130 W. Innes St.
Filing fees range from $5 in most municipalities to a high of $60 to run for mayor in Kannapolis.
Here’s a list of the seats that will be open for filing and the fees by town:
– Salisbury ó all five seats currently held by Mayor Susan Kluttz, Bill Burgin, William “Pete” Kennedy, Mark Lewis and Paul Woodson; two-year terms; $10 fee.
– China Grove ó mayor’s seat held by Don Bringle; seats held by Harold Simpson and Troy Elliott; each for four-year termss; $5 fee.
– East Spencer ó mayor’s seat, currently held by Erma Jefferies; aldermen seats held by Ronald Hash, Deloris High and John Noble; all two-year terms; $10 fee for mayor, $5 for aldermen.
– Faith ó all five seats, , currently held by Bill Johnson, Mark Shores, Gary Gardner, Maxie Sanderson, and Todd Peeler; all two-year terms; $5 fee.
– Granite Quarry ó three seats held by Mayor Mary Ponds, Bill Feather and Jake Fisher; all 4-year terms; $5 fee.
– Landis ó mayor’s seat currently held by Mike Mahaley; aldermen seats held by William Parks Beaver and George Pless; all four-year terms; $5 fee.
– Kannapolis ó Three City Council seats held by Richard Anderson, Kenneth Geathers and Roger Hass; all four-year terms; $60 fee for mayor, $30 for City Council.
– Rockwell ó Mayor’s seat held by Beau Taylor, all five aldermen seats held by Jeannie Misenheimer, Terry Beaver, Bill Ridenhour, Chuck Wingerson and Ryan Walker; all two-year terms; $5 fee.
– Cleveland ó Mayor’s seat held by James Brown, two commissioners seats held by John Bradford and Mary Frank “Frankie” Fleming-Adkins; two-year term for mayor, four years for commissioners; $5 fee.
– Spencer ó Mayor’s seat held by Alicia Bean, all six aldermen’s seats held by Randy Gettys, Sam Morgan, Nick Bishop, C.E. Spear, Kenneth Womble and Michael Smith; all two-year terms; $5 fee.
For more information on the municpal election filings, contact the Board of Elections, at 704-216-8140.
By Jessie Burchette