RHM expecting crowd for Thanksgiving
By Shavonne Potts
Rowan Helping Ministries expects more than 100 people to show up for its noon Thanksgiving lunch.
There are groups who will serve the meals, and businesses and individuals, like the Wrenn House, who have provided turkeys and other food.
Other groups like Nazareth Children’s Home will prepare and serve a meal during the holiday.
“We have more of an outpouring of gifts this holiday season,” said Penny Bowman, director of Program Services.
There will be anywhere from 75-100 or more people who will come through.
There are people working at the Soup Kitchen during the noon meal and volunteers serving in the evening.
The Rev. Karen Fox of Open Door Outreach Ministries is serving the evening meal.
The dinner meal is only for shelter guests who stay at the shelter and the staff expect about 30-35 people.
The Soup Kitchen serves a noon meal including holidays. The shelter is open every night including holidays.
Executive Director Dianne Scott said people don’t have to be homeless to eat in the Soup Kitchen.
“We serve anyone who needs a meal. There are no qualifications,” she said.
The Soup Kitchen holiday volunteers are:
– Thanksgiving Day ó Nazareth Children’s Home, Hedrick Cottage, Tom Couser, house parent.
– Friday lunch ó Rowan Helping Ministries Board Member Tom Staats with sons and grandsons.
– Saturday lunch ó Mary Rice and New Hope AME Zion Church.
– Sunday lunch ó God’s Table service 1st United Methodist Church, China Grove.
For more information, contact Rowan Helping Ministries at 704-637-6838.
The following are other churches and organizations providing Thanksgiving meals:
– Outreach Christian Ministries, 722 W. Horah St., Salisbury, will serve meals from noon-4 p.m. or until the food is gone.
For more information about Outreach Christian Ministries’ Thanksgiving meal, contact Prophetess Velva Carter at 704-900-8541 or the church at 704-637-9955.
– Providence Baptist Church, 620 Andrews St., East Spencer, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Please call Sam Adams at 704-209-5454 if you or someone you know is planning to attend.
– Salisbury Gardens Assisted Living and Pub 1504 are co-sponsoring an event for families or Rowan County residents that may be in need. Food will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Pub 1504, 1504 W. Jake Alexander Blvd., Salisbury. For more information, contact Margaret Cabell at 704-636-0588.
– Love Christian Center, 102 N. Long St., East Spencer, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. For those people who are homebound, contact Edith Downs at 704-267-8648 for delivery.
– United Baptist Church, 3001 Clermont Ave., Kannapolis, between 10 a.m and 2 p.m. Also during this time there will be free coats, hats and gloves given away for children in need.
Meals are available as dine in or take out, and delivery is available upon request.
For more information or order placement, contact True Holiness Church of God, 704-938-3972; Pastor Renwick Fisher, 704-933-4360; or Elizabeth Gillispie, 704-938-9221.