Red Cross helping fire victims
The Elizabeth Hanford Dole Chapter of the American Red Cross is accepting donations for a family left homeless after a fire Wednesday on Dunn’s Mountain Road.
A spokesman for the Red Cross said donors should specify their gifts go to the Benita Trotter family. They may drop off checks or cash at the Red Cross at 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd.
At this point, the family’s primary need is a place to stay. The Red Cross provides a hotel for two nights.
Trotter and her 2-year-old son lost most of their belongings in a fire Wednesday afternoon. The rented single-wide mobile home on Dunn’s Mountain Road burned. Firefighters suspect an electrical wiring malfunction caused the blaze.
Anyone who has appliances, furniture or larger items to donate may call the Red Cross at 704-633-3854, Ext. 106. While the Red Cross doesn’t have facilities to store furniture or appliances, the agency compiles a list and will give the information to the family.