Red Cross helping fire victims
By Jessie Burchette
GRANITE QUARRY ó A suspected electrical wiring problem destroyed a single wide mobile home on Dunn’s Mountain Road Wednesday afternoon, leaving a young family homeless.
Firefighters responded after a cell phone call to 911 shortly after 2 p.m.
Firefighters arrived on the scene to find heavy black smoke pouring through the roof.
A half-hour or so later, Benita Trotter and her 2 -year-old son arrived home to find firefighters on the scene and their home in flames.
“They lost about everything they had,” said Deputy Chief Bill Fraley of the Granite Quarry Fire Department.
Firefighters from Salisbury, Faith, Rockwell and the Rowan County Rescue Squad assisted.
Fraley said the fire appeared to be electrical in nature from some type of malfunction, and not suspicious.
Representatives of the Hanford Dole American Red Cross came to the scene to provide assistance to the family.
Deborah Lineberger, director of emergency services, said the Red Cross will put them in a hotel for two nights.
Lineberger said Trotter will have to find another place to stay and will need money for food and other needs.
Most of the child’s toys were burned. Trotter was able to save some clothes from the mobile home which she rented.
Anyone who would like to help the Trotter family may drop off checks or cash at the Red Cross at 1930 Jake Alexander Blvd.
Anyone who has appliances, furniture or larger items to donate may call the Red Cross at 704-633-3854, Ext. 106. While the Red Cross doesnít have facilities to store furniture or appliances, they compile a list and will give the information to the family.