Police reports: 5th person charged in February scam
Salisbury Police charged a Salisbury man with trying to scam an elderly man out of money that was then used to buy drugs.
Antonio Demetrious Kerns, 24, of 200 W. Lafayette St., is the fifth person arrested for the Feb. 24 scam. He is charged with felony exploitation of an elder/disabled adult.
After convincing an 85-year-old man the group members were his family, the suspects took the man to a bank, where he withdrew money. The money was used to buy cocaine, food and cigarettes.
Two women and two other men have already been charged.
In other city reports:
– The city of Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department reported on March 25 vandalism to a fence at Jersey City Park, 699 W. Kerr St.
– Rocio T. Aguilar reported on March 25 an attempted larceny of a Ford pickup belonging to her husband, Jose Luis Garcia Valdez, at 215 Bendix Drive. The lock to the driver’s side door was damaged.
According to a police report, entry was not made.
– Carolyn Carter reported on March 25 someone damaged the locks on her vehicle in an attempt to break into the car while it was parked at Wal-Mart.
– Jimmy Maurice Thompson reported a March 25 hit- and-run at 1126 N. Main St.
– Belk Department store reported March 25 a man stealing women’s clothing totaling $260 from the store inside the Salisbury Mall, 1935 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
Jonathan Robert Gallimore, 30, was charged with misdemeanor larceny.
– Kohl’s Department store reported March 25 a woman shoplifting $444 worth of clothing and jewelry from the store, 1395 Klumac Road.
Stephanie Nicole Mayhew, 25, was charged with misdemeanor concealment of merchandise.
– Antonio N. Villalobos reported March 25 someone entered his vehicle and took two purses while the vehicle was parked at 704 East Innes St.
– James A. Wallace reported a March 25 vandalism and attempted larceny from his vehicle while parked at Tractor Supply, 405 S. Jake Alexander Blvd.
– Geraldine H. Staton reported a March 25 hit-and-run at 509 Faith Road.
– Joan Brandel Barner reported on March 25 her vehicle was taken without her permission from 735 Ryan St. by James Boyd Woodward, 47, charged with misdemeanor unauthorized use of motor vehicle.
– James Blakeney reported a March 25 larceny from a motor vehicle at 525 S. Jake Alexander Blvd., Gerry Wood Auto Center.
– Tractor Supply Co. reported the March 25 larceny of a lawnmower, 405 S. Jake Alexander Blvd.
– Enterprise Leasing Co. reported a March 26 vandalism at 210 S. Link Ave.
– Patricia Renee House reported on March 26 someone attempted to break into her home at 226 Dan St.
– Laura Massey reported on March 26 fraud/flim-flam of $2,947.80 at 1823 Chantilly Lane.
– Michelle Yvette Jackson reported March 26 a burglary at 628 W. Bank St.
– Ivan Javier Muniz reported a weapon stolen at 610 Hawkinstown Road.
– Tonya Leanne Thomas Hennis reported March 26 her boyfriend took her car without her permission.
– Lesha Letrice Jefferies reported the March 27 theft of her vehicle that was later involved in a crash at 739 Victory St.
– Jason David Morris, 30, and Brenda Kay Clark, 33, were charged March 24 with misdemeanor concealment of merchandise at 1935 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
– Altereck Rashad Shields, 29, was charged March 25 with felony obtaining property by false pretenses.
Anyone with information on any of these cases is asked to contact the Salisbury-Rowan Crime Stoppers at 1-866-639-5245.