More than a century of Coca-Cola in Salisbury
1905 ó The Salisbury Coca-Cola bottling company begins production in the 100 block of South Main Street with a wagon drawn by two horses named Tobe and Bell. The plant has a single foot-powered bottling machine.
1915 ó The company builds a new plant at the intersection of Lee and Liberty streets. The Salisbury Post later gushes that the plant is “modern in every respect” in bottling “the famous thirst quencher.”
1931 ó The Salisbury Coca-Cola Bottling Co. buys the Lexington Coca-Cola Bottling Co.
1938 ó Construction begins on a new building on South Main Street in downtown Salisbury.
1964 ó The plant is expanded to triple production and double employment. After the expansion, it has the capacity to produce 600 6-ounce bottles of Coke per minute. At its peak production, the Salisbury plant has a fleet of 20 trucks.
1968 ó The company, along with the Gastonia Coca-Cola plant, merges with the Charlotte Coca-Cola Bottling Co.
1974 ó The Salisbury plant ceases production, becoming a distribution center.
2009 ó Company officials announce the Salisbury distribution center will close in 2010.
ó Compiled by Lee Barnes