Local trunk or treats and Halloween alternatives
– Calvary BaptistChurch annual “Scare Mare” Oct. 27 through 31. Held in woods behind the church for the past 12 years, the event is centered on the theme of death and is an alternative to Halloween. 7 to 9 p.m. nightly except Friday will be 9 p.m. to midnight due to the local high school football games. Begins at the house above the church, continues through the woods behind the church, consists of 11 stops along the trail before concluding at the cemetery. Trunk or Treat will be held in church parking lot Oct. 31 from 6 to 8 p.m. This activity is geared to children preschool through 6th grade. “Scare Mare” is $3 per person, or $2 each in groups. Trunk or Treat will be free to all children. 2255 East Ridge Road, just beyond Ellis Crossroads. www.calvarysalisbury.org. 704-633-2567.
– Salem Lutheran annual Trunk or Treat Fall Festival today, 5-9 p.m. Theme: “Let Your Faith GLOW (God Lights Our Way).” All are invited to wear fun costumes (no scary costumes please) and enjoy the trunk or treat, hayrides, games, dinner and three inflatable play structures. After dinner: “Good News Hay Ride.” If you would like to set up your trunk for trunk or treat, arrive at 4:45 p.m.
5080 Sherrills Ford Road.
– Oakdale Baptist Church, 200 Charles St., Spencer, fall carnival Oct. 31, 2-4 p.m. in the church parking lot featuring music, games, food, prizes and an 18-foot inflatable slide. In the event of rain it will moved into the gym.
– Prospect Presbyterian Trunk or Treat party in Prospect Park, 9425 W.N.C. 152 Hwy, 5-7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 25. Moon bounces, petting zoo, mule rides, hay rides, games, candy, hot dog supper. Trunk or Treat begins 6:30 p.m. Prizes awarded for best trunks. Admission: one can of food for the Mooresville Christian Mission’s food pantry.
– Cornerstone Church, 315 Webb Road, welcomes kids small and big to participate in Trunk or Treat from 7-8:15 p.m. Halloween night. 704-855-1218.
– Concordia Lutheran Church, 185 Concordia Church Road, near Atwell Fire Department in China Grove, fall carnival 2-4 p.m. Oct. 31. Games, moonwalk, hayrides, face painting, popcorn, cotton candy and nachos.
– Kimball Memorial Lutheran Church, 101 Vance St., Kannapolis, annual Trunk or Treat today, 3-5 p.m. Activities for children of all ages-games, hay ride, crafts, food. Free.
– Zoofari Fall Festival at First Baptist Church (First Ministry Center Gym) 223 N. Fulton St. 4-6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 25. Bring two cans of food per child for admission and ticket card. Trunk or Treat, antique firetruck, rides, inflatables, obstacle course, giant slide, games, prizes. Chicken ‘n dumplins, hot dogs.
– Mt. Zion United Church of Christ, 1415 S. Main St., China Grove, Trunk or treat and hot dog fundraiser, 5-7 p.m., Oct. 31.
– North Kannapolis Baptist Church fall festival 6-8 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 28 in the Kelly Watts Family Life Center. Food, games, prizes, for all ages. 312 Locust St. 704-933-2125.
– Youth group of Immanuel Lutheran Church will have Trunk or Treat at Happy Farms 5-8 p.m., Oct. 31. Located off Mt. Hope Church Road near Happy Lake. Also hot dogs, desserts, chips, cotton candy, hot chocolate.
– Trinity United Methodist Church fall festival 3-5:30 p.m., Oct. 25, 416 E. First St., Kannapolis. Game booths, relay games, inflated slide, face painting, pumpkin painting, hayrides, Trunk or Treat, prize drawings. Children encouraged to wear costumes if they wish to enter a costume fashion show. Hot dogs, popcorn, lemonade. 704-933-1127.