Kannapolis swears in new officers
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 1, 2009
By Hugh Fisher
KANNAPOLIS ó City Council members welcomed the newest officers of the Kannapolis Police Department at a swearing-in ceremony held during Monday’s council session.
The six new patrol officers are the largest single group to be formally welcomed since Police Chief Woody Chavis began the public ceremonies last year.
“At one point, I was where they are at now,” Chavis said of the officers beginning their careers. “I’m kind of envious of them.”
All six officers completed Basic Law Enforcement Training in December and are currently engaged in field training, which they’ll complete in April.
City Clerk Bridgette Bell administered the ceremonial oath to the new police officers.
The new officers are:
– Brett Alan Wilhelm, assigned to Patrol Squad C. He is the son of Salisbury Police Chief Mark Wilhelm and Tonya Wilhelm, of Cleveland.
– Matthew Scott Black, assigned to Patrol Squad A. Black is the son of Robert and Pat Black, of Kannapolis.
– Christopher Lloyd Crowe, assigned to Patrol Squad D. Crowe is the son of Kathy Black and Lloyd Wayne Crowe, of China Grove. His family includes wife Misty Burleson Crowe and two sons.
– Christopher Charles Dial, assigned to Patrol Squad B. Dial is the son of Sandra and Gilbert Thompson, of Mooresville, and Charles and Tamara Dial, of Gold Hill. He and wife Tiffany Belk Dial have two children.
– William Jenkins Frazier, assigned to Patrol Squad A. He is the son of Lexie and Donna Frazier, of Kannapolis. Frazier is the husband of Jennifer Hyatt Frazier.
– Chance Wayne Ross, assigned to Patrol Squad D. he is the son of Gayle Stegall, of Kannapolis, and Jack Ross, of Landis. He is married to Judy Easley Ross and the couple have one son.