Kannapolis seeks applicants for boards, commissions
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 1, 2009
KANNAPOLIS ó The city of Kannapolis is seeking applicants for each of its boards and commissions. The Kannapolis City Council will make appointments in June. Applications can be downloaded from the city Web site or by contacting Kannapolis City Clerk Bridgette Bell.
The deadline for submitting an application is April 30. All new boards and commissions will start their year on July 1. Those selected would serve a three year term.
“We want to encourage residents to seek a spot on one of our commissions and have a voice in their community,” said Kannapolis Community Outreach Coordinator Renee Goodnight. “It is important that these groups represent a good cross section of the community.”
The Kannapolis City Council appoints the boards and commissions to help guide decision-making in Kannapolis.
– The Planning and Zoning Commission advises City Council on various issues related to the Unified Development Ordinance.
– The Board of Adjustment hears appeals and can grant conditional-use permits based on their interpretation of the Unified Development Ordinance and the Kannapolis Zoning Map.
– The Parks and Recreation Commission advises City Council on all matters related to recreational activities and facilities provided by the city.
– The Environmental Stewardship Commission addresses the current and future needs to value and protect natural resources and achieve sustainable growth.
– The Diversity and Newcomers Commission ensures that Kannapolis is a community that welcomes and celebrates newcomers and people of different cultures and backgrounds.
– The Community Development Commission provides input on the city’s community development program, including expenditure of funds and community outreach.
For more information about the commissions and opportunities to become involved, contact Kannapolis City Clerk Bridgette Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 704-920-4303.