Fires damage apartment, mobile home in Cabarrus

Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 1, 2009

CONCORD ó Members of a Winecoff Avenue family and their dog escaped without injury Friday afternoon when a fire believed to have started in the kitchen caused extensive damage to their duplex.
The fire at 119 Winecoff Ave. was called into the Concord Communications Center at 2:15 p.m., and a Concord Department of Fire and Life Safety truck was on the scene by 2:20 p.m. Upon arrival, smoke was seen coming from the roof of the two-unit duplex, according to a department press release.
Firefighters were able to contain the damage to one unit of the duplex. A total of seven fire and rescue units were dispatched to the scene and had the fire under control by 2:33 p.m, the release said.
American Red Cross representatives arrived to assist the residents with clothing and shelter. The damage to the unit was estimated at $30,000.
On Thursday afternoon, the Kannapolis Fire Department was dispatched to a working house fire at 1005 Mooresville Road. Several callers reported the 3:26 p.m. fire, according to a fire department release. One reported seeing smoke through a window.
Upon arriving at the scene at 3:30 p.m., firefighters discovered heavy smoke coming from a single-wide mobile home and worked quickly to extinguish the blaze.
The cause of the fire was determined to be unintentional, the release said. Because of its smoldering nature, the fire caused extensive smoke and heat damage to the residence.
The American Red Cross is assisting the homeowner.

Comments

Comments closed.