Fire damages Porky’s Bar B Q in China Grove
By Steve Huffman
CHINA GROVE ó A bathroom fire closed one of China Grove’s more popular restaurants Saturday.
The fire started about 6 p.m. in Porky’s Bar B Q on Main Street and was apparently limited to the men’s restroom. A man in the restaurant’s parking lot said he was told that someone lit a roll of toilet paper that caused a great deal of smoke.
The restaurant was evacuated, though there were no injuries. Damage appeared minimal.
Barb Newmeyer, the restaurant’s manager, said the only damage was caused by smoke. She said the business would be closed today as employees cleaned. Newmeyer said she wasn’t sure if the restaurant would reopen Monday.
She also refused to confirm that the fire was caused by a lighted roll of toilet paper.
“There’s lots of smoke damage, but everyone’s fine, nobody’s hurt,” Newmeyer said. “As to the cause, I can’t comment on that.”
She referred further questions to Mike Reid, the restaurant’s owner. Newmeyer said Reid was out of town and not available for comment.
Attempts to reach China Grove police to see if there were charges related to the fire were unsuccessful.