Burned toast sets off alarm at Salisbury Gardens
Smoke from burned toast in a microwave led to the brief evacuation Monday morning of a wing at Salisbury Gardens, an assisted living center for the elderly at 2201 Statesville Blvd.
The Salisbury Fire Department responded about 10:20 a.m. and found smoke in the halls of the wing, but it dissipated quickly. The source of the smoke, which tripped off an alarm, was found soon after that.
Firefighters ventilated the area and reported the incident under control at 10:35 a.m., and the evacuated residents were returning to their rooms and apartments by 10:45 a.m.