Area briefs: Pfeiffer routs Bobcats
From staff reports
Pfeiffer’s men’s basketball team got scoring from 13 players and annihilated Lees-McRae 124-65 in its Conference Carolinas opener on Tuesday.
Pfeiffer (3-2) connected on 20 3-pointers, outscored Lees-McRae 60-24 from behind the arc and beat the Bobcats 39-25 on the boards.
Jeff Pettiway led the Falcons with 24 points. James Crowder had 19.
Pfeiffer plays at Washington Adventist on Saturday.
* Pfeiffer’s Chris Woods has been selected as the Conference Carolinas Player of the Week for men’s basketball.
Woods, a junior, averaged 25 points in four games, including a career-high 34 against USC Aiken.
– Pfeiffer women
Pfeiffer’s women’s basketball team beat visiting Lees-McRae 70-61 in Tuesday.
The Falcons (1-2, 0-1) shot 37 percent from the floor.
Devona Knight had 14 points and 10 rebounds for the Falcons. Jamila Harris scored 11 points.
The Falcons play Sunday afternoon at Armstrong Atlantic.
– Women’s hoops
Rashonda Mayfield (West Rowan) scored 12 points as Voorhees beat Edward Waters 80-53 on Saturday.
* Brittany Cornelius (East Rowan) had eight rebounds and five assists as Meredith beat Bennett 67-61 on Tuesday.
* South Carolina State’s Sophilia Hipps (North Rowan) had 10 points, six rebounds and five assists in an 88-53 loss to USC Upstate on Tuesday.
– Men’s basketball
Jamel Carpenter (West Rowan) had 25 points and six rebounds for Fayetteville State in an 84-73 loss to Bowie State on Tuesday.
* Michael Gore (South Rowan) made his only shot attempt for Coker in a 63-53 win against Erskine on Tuesday.
n Junior guard Doug Campbell (Salisbury) had 14 points and six rebounds for Rio Grande in an 84-68 loss against Point Park.
Campbell was named to the all-tournament team at the Cedarville Invitational.
– Catawba athletics
Catawba offensive tackle Terence Crosby made the second team on the All-Super Region 2 football team selected by Daktronics.
* Catawba senior libero Mai Zoua Lo was named to the All-Southeast Region volleyball first team.
Zoua Lo leads the SAC and ranks 10th in Division II in digs per set. She’s No. 2 in digs on Catawba’s career list with 1,919.
– 8th grade hoops
Devin Parks scored 19 points, and Myquan Stout added 13 as Southeast’s boys defeated West Rowan on Monday.
West was led by Daisean Reddick with 19. Steven Little chipped in with eight points.
– Wonders tickets
Tickets for Friday’s third-round 3AA football matchup between A.L. Brown and South Point are on sale today from 12:30-2 p.m in coach Ron Massey’s office.
Cost is $7.