Area sports briefs: Catawba advances
From staff reports
Catawba’s Andrea Dunshie scored a goal late in the first half from 10 yards out and Catawba’s women’s soccer team made it stand up for a 1-0 victory against Wingate in the first round of the SAC tournament on Wednesday.Kristen Girardi assisted on Dunshie’s goal.
Lindsay Webster made six saves for her sixth shutout.
Catawba has beaten Wingate 12 straight times, including seven 1-0 games.
No. 4 seed Catawba (13-4-2) moved into a Friday semifinal in Rock Hill against top-seeded Carson-Newman.
Carson-Newman whipped No. 8 seed Brevard 5-0.
– Women’s soccer
Allie Hester (West Rowan) scored a goal for St. Andrews in a 7-0 Conference Carolinas win against Coker on Saturday.
– Men’s soccer
Sixth-seeded Belmont Abbey used a pair of second-half goals to upset No. 3 Pfeiffer 2-0 on Wednesday in the first round of the Conference Carolinas tournament.
– Prep soccer
Carson lost at Marvin Ridge 4-0 in the first round of the 3A playoffs on Tuesday and finished 11-12.
* Piedmont beat Central Davidson 4-0 on Wednesday and will be the second-round opponent for Salisbury.
The Hornets will play host to Piedmont, which moved down from the 3A ranks this year, at Ludwig Stadium at 7 p.m. on Saturday.
* West Davidson advanced in the 2A playoffs with a 3-0 win against North Lincoln, while Lexington was ousted 3-0 by Cuthbertson.
– Prep football
Playoff pairings should be finalized by Saturday evening.
All six Rowan teams and A.L. Brown will be in the playoffs. Davie is probable, but it needs a win Friday to make sure it’s in a bracket.
– Prep volleyball
The 34th NCHSAA volleyball state championships will be held at Raleigh’s Reynolds Coliseum on Saturday.
* 1A championship, Pender (26-2) vs. Rosman (31-1), noon
* 2A championship, North Surry (32-0) vs. Cedar Ridge (26-4), 2:30
* 3A championship, West Henderson (27-1) vs. Cardinal Gibbons (24-1), 5 p.m.West Henderson eliminated Charlotte Catholic in the West final. Catholic beat Carson in the second round and also eliminated NPC champion West Iredell.
* 4A championship, Greenville Rose (24-0) vs. Ardrey Kell (23-5), 7:30
Time Warner Cable will have television coverage of all four state championships on Carolina On Demand, channel 1234, starting Nov. 11.
– Team Phoenix basketball
Team Phoenix is coming to Rowan County. Team Phoenix was created by Delaney Rudd (Wake Forest, NBA) in Greensboro to provide a place for talented young basketball players to show their skills.
Team Phoenix is the largest AAU organization in the Southeast with over 160 teams in the Carolinas. Team Phoenix South Salisbury-Rowan starts play this spring and is looking for boys and girls ages 11-17 and coaches. Get info at www.ballcharts.com/phoenixsalisbury.