Opportunities for seniors in Davie County
MOCKSVILLE ó Davie County Senior Services, 278 Meroney St., Mocksville, offers the following upcoming opportunities:
For more information or to register, call 336-753-6230.
– Bingo ó 1 p.m., Oct. 8. MP Room B. Free. The quarterly Bingo game offers prizes and refreshments. Due to the sponsorship by Inspirations, there is no fee for Bingo this quarter. Open to adults 55 and older and exceptions under the general participation policy.
– Buddy System Training ó 1 p.m., Oct. 12, Multi-purpose Room B. Senior Services is hoping to start a new program and we need your help. We would like to start a program where we match up volunteers with people who are coming to the center for the first time. Many new participants are uncomfortable attending an event because they may not know anyone. We are looking for volunteers who would be willing to meet those “newcomers” at Senior Services for their first event, and help them learn the ropes – introduce them to people, sit with them, etc. If you would be interested in being a Buddy, please attend this training session. If you are interested but cannot attend this session, please call and set up a time for an individual training session.
– Town Hall Meeting: “Who ya gonna call?” ó 10:30 a.m . Oct. 14, Multi-purpose Room B. Panel – Beth Dirks, Davie County Manager, Representative from Mocksville Town Hall, Robert McNath, DOT. Do you know who to call to report a dead animal in the road? What about to report a road sign being down? The panel will answer some of the most frequently asked questions about who does what in the county, and then answer your questions as well. These meetings are open to adults of all ages. No children please.
– Chair volley ball ó Friday, Oct. 16, 1 p.m., Exercise Room. Cost – free
– Family game night ó Friday, Oct. 16, 7 p.m.-9 p.m., MP rooms A & B; cost ó free.
Are you someone who is 55 and older and have children under the age of 18? Or are you 55 and older & raising your grandchildren? Then, this night is for you. Bring those kids out for a family game night. We will have card and board games, ping-pong, chair volleyball and more. Refreshments will be served. The evening is also open to anyone 55 and older who wishes to bring their children and/or grandchildren, even if they don’t live with them. Games will be geared to children ages 8 and up. If you will be bringing younger children, you may want to bring your own board game. All children must be accompanied by a person 55 or older. Please pre-register early, as this event will be canceled if not enoughinterest is shown.
Farmington site:What the NC Cooperative Extension offers: Thursday, Oct. 15, 10:30 a.m.; speaker: Jami Lawhon, Cooperative Ext. RSVP by Oct. 8
Our local agencies have a lot to offer. Come learn about all the programs and services the local Cooperative Extension agency offers. Limited to the first 25 to register.
HEART DISEASE SEMINAR
Monday, October 26 – 10:30am
Speaker: Aliza Hekman, PA, Davie County Hospital
RSVP by October 19
Heart disease is still the number 1 killer in America and it affects women as well as men. Come learn more at this informative seminar. Limited to the first 25 to register.Qualifies for Destination Fitness drawing.
PLEASE CALL 753-6230 FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO REGISTER FOR THESE PROGRAMS.