Schools for gamers
Published 12:00 am Monday, November 3, 2008
Los Angeles TimesMore than 200 schools offer courses in various aspects of video-game development. Here are 10 of the schools most often mentioned by game industry recruiters.
– University of Southern California, Los Angeles
– Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
– Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta
– Savannah College of Art and Design, Atlanta
– Southern Methodist University, Plano, Texas
– DigiPen Institute of Technology, Redmond, Wash.
– Vancouver Film School, Vancouver, British Columbia
– University of Central Florida, Orlando, Fla.
– Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
– University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
– The International Game Developers Association Web site has a framework for a proposed curriculum in game development: igda.org/wiki/index.php/Game Education SIG/Curriculum
– United Business Media, publisher of Game Developer Magazine, has a list of more than 300 schools offering game courses or programs: www.gamecareerguide.com/schools
Source: Los Angeles Times research