Election: Other Council of State races
Published 12:00 am Monday, November 3, 2008
– Roy Cooper, Democrat, of Raleigh; incumbent since 2001; graduate of UNC-CH undergraduate and law school; former state senator.
– Bob Crumley, Republican, of Asheboro; graduate of Appalachian State and Wake Forest School of Law; chairman and CEO of Crumley and Associates, a civil litigation law firm.
– Leslie Merritt, Republican, of Zebulon, incumbent; degrees in accounting and economics, N.C. State University.
– Beth A Wood, Democrat, of Raleigh; B.S. in accounting; now a case investigator on contract with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
– John Odom, Republican, of Raleigh; educated at Oak Ridge Jr. College and Richmond Technical Inst., Richmond County; now CEO of Greater Raleigh Merchants Assoc. and owner of Meineke Car Care Centers.
– Wayne Goodwin, Democrat, of Rockingham; graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill and J.D., UNC-CH, 1992; now assistant commissioner of insurance and assistant state fire marshal.
– Mark McMains, Libertarian, of Fuquay-Varina; graduate of Apex Senior High School; now employed by Cary Auto Body Specialists and Carolina Towing.
Supt. of Public Instruction
– Richard Morgan, Republican, of Eagle Springs; graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill; former legislator; businessman with Richard T. Morgan & Associates, Morgan Farms.
– June St. Clair Atkinson, Democrat, of Wake County, incumbent; doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy from N.C. State University, master’s degree from Virginia Tech, bachelor’s degree from Radford University.
– Ronnie Ansley, Democrat; B.S. from N.C. State, master’s from Clemson, law degree from Mississippi College; attorney. Ran previously for lieutenant governor, Congress and state Supreme Court.
– Steve Troxler, Republican, incumbent; farmer for 38 years; graduate of N.C. State University.
– Mary Fant Donnan, Democrat, worked seven years under former Labor Commissioner Harry Payne; currently works for the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation.
– Cherie Berry, Republican, incumbent seeking third term, former legislator.
Secretary of State
– Elaine Marshall, Democrat, incumbent seeking fourth term; graduate of University of Maryland and Campbell law school.
– Jack Sawyer, Republican, real estate lawyer and licensed broker; graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill and Regent University School of Law in Virginia Beach, Va.
– Janet Cowell, Democrat, of Raleigh; graduate of University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business; consultant with Fountainworks of Raleigh, 2005 to 2007; N.C. Senate, 2005 to present; Raleigh City Council, 2000-2005.
– Bill Daughtridge, Republican, of Rocky Mount; undergraduate and MBA from UNC-Chapel Hill; owner and chief executive of Daughtridge Gas & Oil Co., a distributor, and several related companies, 1979 to present. In N.C. House since 2003.