Prep Football Preview: West Rowan at South Rowan
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: West 8-1, 7-0 NPC; South Rowan 4-5, 4-3 NPC
* Series: South leads 21-15-1
* Last meeting: West crushed South 40-6 in 2007
* Last game: West survived 23-17 against Lake Norman in two overtimes on Monday; South lost to Mooresville 35-13 on Friday
* Next week: West is home against Mooresville for a titanic clash; South finishes the regular season at North Iredell
* Home and road splits: South is 2-2 at home, West is 3-1 on the road. The loss was early to Davie County.
* Game notes: With West dealing with a short practice week and having expended considerable emotion and energy to beat Lake Norman, this one could be more interesting than the records indicate.
West star K.P. Parks carried 34 times Monday. He’s great, but he’s human, and it will be interesting to see if he’s close to his best.
The junior’s best is not half-bad ó 5,897 career rushing yards and 81 TDs. Running behind an offensive line that includes Garrett Teeter, Parks will present a challenge for a South defense that includes linebacker Dakota Walker.
South hasn’t beaten West since 2000 when it won in overtime. West’s current string of county victories started with a win over South in 2001 and is now up to 28 in a row.
West also has won 22 straight NPC road games and 32 out of 33 league games, although Monday’s close call against a Lake Norman team South beat gives the Raiders hope.
West has outscored opponents 369-87. South has scored 155 points, while yielding 149.
The least recognized part of West’s complete package is punter Jon Crucitti and kicker Matt Turchin. They give the Falcons one of the state’s top kicking games.
Start with a strong dose of lyrical singer-songwriter acoustic folk. Add a helping of catchy hooks mixed with modern rock... read more