Prep Football Preview: Porter Ridge at A.L. Brown
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: Porter Ridge 3-6, 2-4 SPC; A.L. Brown 7-2, 5-1 SPC
* Series: A.L. Brown leads 3-0
* Last meeting: Wonders pummeled the Pirates 66-8 in 2007
* Last game: Porter Ridge upset Parkwood 9-7 on Monday; A.L. Brown uglied its way past Hickory Ridge 21-6 on Friday
* Next week: Porter Ridge is home against Piedmont; Brown is on the road at Bailey Stadium for its traditional battle with struggling Concord
* Home and road splits: Porter Ridge is 3-2 at home but 0-4 on the road. Brown is 4-0 at home, so it’s not hard to pick a winner in this one
* Game notes: Brown has outscored Porter Ridge’s purple people-eaters 156-37 in three previous meetings.
But Porter Ridge comes in off a serious upset against Parkwood. Parkwood beat Anson and Anson beat Brown so you just never can assume wins in this league.
Anson’s wipeout of Sun Valley last Friday eliminated the Spartans from the title picture. Now it’s Anson (6-1), which is off tonight, Brown (5-1) and Marvin Ridge (5-1). Brown lost to Anson and beat Marvin Ridge. Marvin Ridge finishes with Sun Valley tonight and Anson on Nov. 7.
Brown comes in off an ugly offensive game at Hickory Ridge in which it rushed for a season-low 65 yards, but the defense played well. It held the Ragin’ Bulls to negative rushing yardage and Dwayne Stroud racked up three sacks.
Brown has scored 276 points while allowing 149. Porter Ridge has scored 136 while allowing 243.
Brown is on track for its 21st conference title in 30 years and seventh in coach Ron Massey’s nine seasons. Young assistants such as Josh Reeves and Antoine Nelson, who were Wonder linebackers not long ago, help keep the machine rolling.
Start with a strong dose of lyrical singer-songwriter acoustic folk. Add a helping of catchy hooks mixed with modern rock... read more