Prep Football Preview: Davie at North Forsyth
Published 12:00 am Friday, October 31, 2008
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: Davie County 5-4, 0-3 CPC; North Forsyth 4-5, 1-2 CPC
* Series: Davie leads 4-1
* Last meeting: Davie won 3-0 in 2007
* Last game: Davie was surprised by R.J. Reynolds 24-12 on Friday; North Forsyth lost to Mount Tabor 46-16 on Monday
* Next week: Davie is home against North Davidson; North Forsyth is home against Reynolds
* Home and road splits: Davie is playing only its fourth road game. It’s 1-2 away from home and the lone win was the miraculous 50-49 overtime decision at Page. North Forsyth is 1-3 at home. The win was a CPC triumph over North Davidson.
* Game notes: Davie won five of its first six, but it’s dropped three straight in CPC play.
Davie’s won each of the last four seasons against North Forsyth and North Forsyth’s short practice week should work to rested Davie’s advantage. Davie rolled 47-13, 35-14 and 42-14 over the Vikings from 2004-06 and eked out a 3-0 decision in 2007 on a first-quarter field goal by Michael Rowe. Last year, Davie held North Forsyth to 48 rushing yards on its way to its fifth straight CPC title.Davie QB Zach Illing threw for 241 yards last week and has 2,087 passing yards and 17 TDs in a remarkable season, but he was intercepted and sacked often last week. Illing’s top targets remain Joe Watson (770 yards, 10 TDs) and Jarrell Marshall (472 yards), but P.J. Neely has also emerged of late.
Davie has scored 298 points, but it’s given up 240. In CPC games, Davie’s been outscored 99-49. Linebacker Matt Speer and his teammates hope to change those numbers this week.
Davie hasn’t lost four straight since it fell to Statesville, Freedom, North Forsyth and West Forsyth in 2003.