Prep Football Preview: Davie County at R.J. Reynolds
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: Davie 5-3, 0-2 CPC; R.J. Reynolds 3-5, 0-2 CPC
* Series: Davie leads 13-10
* Last meeting: War Eagles won 26-14 in 2007
* Last game: Davie lost to Mount Tabor 38-17 on Monday; Reynolds lost 17-14 to North Davidson on Friday
* Next week: Davie is at North Forsyth; West Forsyth is at Reynolds
* Game notes: Davieís offense couldnít keep putting up 40 points a night, and itís lost two straight to the two best teams in the CPC and likely two of the 10 best 4A teams in the state. Mount Tabor and West Forsyth cut Davieís usual offensive output in half.
Davieís outscored foes 286-216 for the season, and Reynolds has been outscored 146-116.
Davie has a short turnaround from its second Monday night loss of the season, and that should help Reynolds make things interesting.
RJR quarterback Jeremy Peterson is one of the CPCís top players. He threw for 245 yards against Davie last season, but the War Eagles stopped him for zero rushing yards.
Davieís has gotten spectacular efforts from quarterback Zach Illing (15 TD passes) and Joe Watson (nine TD receptions), but itís been banged up most of the season. Corner Shyteek Brown and offensive lineman Josh Burcham returned to the lineup Monday, but Davie was minus center Vince Cioce (broken finger).
Davie isnít going to extend its streak of CPC titles to six, but it could put the pieces back together and still make a playoff run.
The mission now is to get some confidence back by beating Reynolds, North Forsyth and North Davidson. Davie will count on players such as O-lineman Lewis Favre and Chase Sampson (52 tackles) to get it done.
From staff reports Cats are supposed to have nine lives. No definite word from insect experts on how many lives... read more