Prep Football Preview: Central Davidson at North Rowan
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: Central Davidson 3-5, 1-3 CCC; North Rowan 0-8, 0-4 CCC
* Series: North Rowan leads 9-1
* Last meeting: North won 21-14 in 2007
* Last week: Central Davidson lost to East Davidson 13-6; North Rowan lost to Providence Grove 15-12
* Next week: Central Davidson is at Lexington; North Rowan is at Salisbury
* Game notes: North Rowan has a realistic chance for victory tonight, but previous chances against East Davidson, Forbush and Providence Grove slipped away. Both teams lost competitive games to West Davidson and East Davidson. North lost to Providence Grove by three, and Central nipped Providence Grove 28-26.
Central has more firepower than the Cavaliers. The Spartans have scored 163 points, and North has managed only 44.
On the defensive side, North has an advantage with players such as defensive back Eric Roberson, but Centralís defensive numbers were knocked out of whack by back-to-back games with 4A North Davidson and Salisbury. Central was outscored 112-12 in those two nightmares.
East Davidsonís Dylan Gallimore battered Central for 33 carries and 190 yards last week, an indication the Cavs can move the ball on the ground with Vince Shropshire and Cameron Mallett, who broke a 66-yard TD last week. North would like to get senior Lathan Charleston his first TD of the fall. Charleston has 12 career TD catches, including two his sophomore year against Central.
The key guy for injury-riddled Central is quarterback Kirk Brown, a pass-run threat whose father was a good player at East Rowan.
Centralís only beaten North once. That was in 2003. Northís won the last four meetings.
From staff reports Cats are supposed to have nine lives. No definite word from insect experts on how many lives... read more