Prep Football Preview: North Iredell at Carson
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: North Iredell 0-7, 0-5 NPC; Carson 3-4, 2-3 NPC
* Series: North Iredell leads 2-0
* Last meeting: North Iredell won 27-17 in Olin in 2007
* Last week: North Iredell lost to West Iredell 33-14; Carson lost to West Rowan 48-0
* Next week: North Iredell is home against East Rowan; Carson is at Northwest Cabarrus
* Game notes: Carson has a chance to make up for last season’s disappointing loss to North Iredell. The Cougars led 10-0 but couldn’t finish what would have been the first win in school history.
Carson QB Ryan Jones had one of his better games against North Iredell in 2007, throwing for 148 yards, and Daniel Yates rushed for 112 yards in that game.
Ground-oriented Carson’s offense should match up well with a North Iredell defense that was shredded for 268 rushing yards by West Iredell’s Quan Rucker, L.J. Harper and Devin Miller last Friday.
North likes to throw, and that’s also a good matchup for Carson. The Cougar secondary, with Zack Grkman, Jenson Harden and Scott Ashby, is one of the team’s strengths.
Carson and North Iredell have had two common opponents and neither fared very well against Mooresville and West Rowan.
Carson has dropped its last two and has been outscored 189-133 this season. North Iredell has been outscored 215-72 and has scored more than 14 points only once.
North quarterback Weston Pharr was only 1-for-10 against the Cougars last year, but he was 10-for-15 for 160 yards last week. Jonathan Hyde caught five passes for 70 yards.
This isn’t an automatic win for Carson. North Iredell has been pretty competitive the past few weeks.