Prep Football Preview: Lexington at Salisbury
Published 12:00 am Friday, October 17, 2008
* Time: 7:30 p.m.
* Records: Lexington 5-2, 3-0 CCC; Salisbury 7-0, 3-0 CCC
* Series: Lexington leads the historic series 37-29-4
* Last meeting: Salisbury won 48-35 in 2007
* Last week: Lexington beat Providence Grove 38-17; Salisbury won at West Davidson 16-8
* Next week: Lexington is home against West Davidson; Salisbury is at Ledford
* Game notes: The schools have been going at it regularly since the 1930s, and this could be one of the better ones. The Yellow Jackets are the biggest obstacle remaining in Salisbury’s quest for a sixth straight CCC championship.
The only common opponent is East Davidson, which both beat handily.
Salisbury, ranked eighth in 2A, has beaten Lexington in all five meetings under coach Joe Pinyan, including an amazing shootout last season that saw Salisbury rush for 405 yards (while attempting one pass). Dario Hamilton had three rushing TDs.
Lexington’s outstanding QB Teland Todd, who is still in action, threw for 340 yards against the Hornets and also rushed for 79.
“They spread it out and score a lot of points,” Salisbury free safety Dominique Phillips said. “We have to give them their respect because that’s a good team, no doubt. But we’re earning our respect too.”
Salisbury has scored 248 points, while Lexington has scored 252. Salisbury should have an edge on defense. It’s allowed 74 points while Lexington’s allowed 144.
Lexington piled up 116 points against two weak teams ó Forbush and Morehead ó but its 28-21 loss to 1A powerhouse Thomasville was pretty impressive.
Salisbury needs big games from linebacker Stephen Carter and receiver/returner Romar Morris.