Area briefs: East soccer gets wet win
From staff reports
East Rowan’s soccer team beat South Rowan 4-2 at soggy Mustang Stadium on Wednesday.
Brendon Bryant scored his first goal of the season in the NPC matchup to give East a 1-0 lead.
Lito Rivera answered with two goals for South, but the Mustangs made it 2-2 just before halftime on Will Mancil’s free kick from 23 yards out.
Mancil assisted on a header by Levi Huffman to put East ahead to stay, and East added insurance when Reid Lippard found the back of the net from 30 yards out. The ball skipped across the wet turf for Lippard’s first high school goal.
Goalkeeper Dillion Arey, who had to leave the game briefly after a collision in the first half, led East’s defense, and backup keeper Casey Padgett made three saves.
Andrew May played well defensively for East, and freshman Robbie Barnes controlled the midfield with John Owen out with an ankle injury.
* Salisbury defeated West Davidson 2-0 in a key CCC matchup but no details were available.
– Catawba athletics
Catawba announced ticket prices for a men’s basketball exhibition game at N.C. State on Nov. 11.
All tickets are general admission and are available for $15. Tickets can be purchased though Catawba by calling Peggy Mason in the athletic department at 704-637-4744 or by stopping at Goodman Gym.
The game will be played at Reynolds Coliseum with a 7 p.m. tipoff.
Doors open at 6 p.m. Catawba will take a fan bus for the game. The cost for the bus will be $35. It will leave Catawba at 2:30 p.m. and return following the game.
* Catawba’s women’s soccer team tied Lenoir-Rhyne 1-1 in rainy Hickory when Laela Ghorbani scored on a free kick with six seconds left in regulation. Lindsay Webster made two saves for Catawba (8-3-1, 3-0-1).
* Catawba’s men’s soccer team lost 5-0 to Lenoir-Rhyne. Randy Taylor and Ryan Shanaghan each scored two goals apiece the Bears.
* Catawba’s women’s golf team placed 12th out of 15 teams at the L-R/Myrtle Beach Intercollegiate.
Wingate shot 638 to win the event. Catawba had a two-round total of 706.
Catawba’s Kelsey Babos posted her third top-10 finish of the season, shooting a total of 160 and finishing seventh. Wingate’s Ashley Denton took medalist honors with a 148.
* Catawba’s men’s golf team finished 16th in a 17-team field at the AFLAC/Cougar Invitational golf tournament in Columbus, Ga.
Catawba posted a score of 609. Junior Elliot Blake led Catawba with rounds of 76 and 74 to finish 48th.
– Middle school football
Southeast’s seventh-graders won 32-6 against Corriher-Lipe.
Tre Williams scored four touchdowns for the Patriots. Chris Hassard, Myquan Stout, Derrick Blackwell and Darius Gabriel added two-point conversions.
Cody Dale was an offensive leader for the Patriots (3-1). Austin McNeil had a big game returning kicks.
* Southeast’s eighth-graders rallied in the rain to beat Corriher-Lipe 26-22 on Wednesday.
K.J. Pressley, Tyler Stamp, Greg Tonneson and Travis Abbitt led the offense for Southeast (4-0).
Jacob Tomlin and Garrett Yelton sparked the defense.
* West Rowan Middle’s seventh-graders stayed undefeated with a 36-8 victory against Erwin.
Devin Parks scored all three times he touched the football in the first half on runs of 6, 14 and 59 yards.
Michael Pinkston had a 47-yard TD run for the Bulldogs (4-0). Malik Crudup returned a kickoff 48 yards for a score.
Daisean Reddick, Michael Pinkston and Tyler Kennedy scored two-point conversions.
Defensive leaders for the Bulldogs (4-0) were Nick Collins, Jesse Moore, Derrick Fortson, Najee Tucker, Ezekiel Blackwood, Teoz Mauney and Keyows Weeks.
Erwin fell to 1-3.
– Middle school softball
Anna Lingle and Taylor Sells had four hits apiece to lead North Rowan Middle to a 19-4 victory against China Grove.
Brianna Mock added two hits for the Mavericks (5-5).
Sells and Lindsey Hinson did the pitching.
– Middle school tennis
Erwin swept doubles and defeated Southeast 8-1.
– Lee shoots 83
Allison Lee (Salisbury) shot 83 and tied for ninth in a Peggy Kirk Bell Girls Golf Tour event held in Pittsboro.
– Junior Bobcats
Salisbury Parks & Recreation is accepting Jr. Bobcats boys basketball league registration through Oct. 17 or until all spaces are filled.
Jr. Bobcats boys basketball is for ages 7-15. Registration fees are $35 for city residents and $70 for non-residents. Register at Hall Gym. Contact Steve Clark (email@example.com) or Tim Pittman (firstname.lastname@example.org) at (704) 638-5289.
– Pfeiffer athletics
Pfeiffer’s men’s soccer team topped Coker 3-0.
* Pfeiffer’s women soccer team beat the Cobras 8-1.
* Pfeiffer’s volleyball team moved to 9-0 in Conference Carolinas with a sweep of Belmont Abbey.