College briefs: Powers sets school record
From staff reports
Senior Melissa Powers became Catawba’s all-time kills leader in a victory against visiting Lander on Tuesday. Catawba won 20-25, 25-20, 27-25, 25-17.
Powers had 16 kills, and she has 1,582 for her career. The old mark of 1,573 was set by Heidi Albright.
Catawba’s Melissa Griffith also had 16 kills, and she moved to fourth on the all-time chart with 1,380.
Lander was ranked No. 1 in the region. Catawba improved to 8-6.n Catawba’s men’s golf team finished second out of 12 squads at the Tusculum Fall Classic. Catawba posted a school-record 568 over two rounds and finished in a tie with Wingate five shots behind host Tusculum.
Elliot Blake led Catawba with a fifth-place finish. He opened with a career-low 68 and shot 71 on Tuesday to finish at 139, three shots off the pace. Eric Schmehl was eighth with a total of 140.
* Catawba’s Kelsey Babos claimed medalist honors in a scorecard playoff at the Tusculum Fall Classic women’s tournament. She had rounds of 76 and 74 for a 150 total.
Catawba finished fifth out of 10 schools with a score of 652.
* Catawba’s men’s tennis team won 5-3 against Wingate. Matt King, Sean Soltan and Thomas Mitchell won singles matches for Catawba (2-1). King won a third-set supertiebreaker by a 15-13 score over top-seeded Mitchell Lvovsky, and Mitchell won his supertiebreaker by an 11-9 count against Drew Owen.
Soltan-Uri Yarkoni and King-Tom McCormack prevailed in doubles.
* Catawba’s women’s tennis team fell 6-3 to Wingate. Jen Denyes, Steffi Cook and Jennifer Dameron won for Catawba (2-1).
– Falcon honored
Pfeiffer volleyball standout Brittany Dickens is the Conference Carolinas Player of the Week.
– College football
Appalachian State’s Gordy Witte (Salisbury) recorded his first career sack in the Mountaineers’ 48-14 victory against Presbyterian.
Witte tackled Tim Webb for a 7-yard loss in the third quarter.
* Coastal Carolina’s D.J. Rice (Davie County) made five tackles, including a sack, in a 20-7 victory against North Carolina A&T.
* UNC Pembroke’s Justin Avery (West Rowan) was credited with a forced fumble on a 17-yard sack in a 47-28 win against Lane.
* Notre Dame starting cornerback Raeshon McNeil (Davie) made three tackles in a 38-21 victory against Purdue on Saturday. He has 10 stops and four pass breakups in four games.