Laws throws perfect game
From staff reports
East Rowanís Cody Laws pitched a perfect game as the Mustangs beat West Stanly 9-0 on Wednesday.
It was 21 up, 21 down for the Colts. Laws (5-0) fanned eight and still hasnít walked a batter this season.
The last out was exciting, as Eastís Micah Jarrett and Zach Smith converged at full-speed in pursuit of a flyball. Smith made the catch, as the jerseys of he and Jarrett brushed.
iEverybody knew what we were playing for,î East coach Brian Hightower said. iThey were both ready to lay out for it.î
Jarrett homered and drove in three runs to spark Eastís offense. The Mustangs (12-2) have won eight in a row.
* South Rowan (11-3) got strong pitching from J.D. Bare (2-0) and Drew Miller and beat A.L. Brown 10-3 in Landis. South didnít field well early, but Bare was tough after the Wonders (6-7) scored two runs in the first.
Jordan Lowder knocked in four runs for South. He had a two-out, two-run single in the first and a run-scoring triple in the third.
Jacob Wright belted a triple for Brown.
* Davie County knocked off unbeaten and top-ranked North Davidson 6-4 in a CPC game.
Zach Russell-Myers hit a three-run homer and was the winning pitcher for the War Eagles, who out-hit the Black Knights 10-7.
Clint Howell worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the seventh.
Russell-Myers, Jess Cartner, Jacob Vernon and Shelton Howard had two hits each for the War Eagles (10-2, 2-0). Tyler Hanover and Levi Michael homered for ND.
* Nick Lomascolo was the winning pitcher in relief and hit a home run to lead Lake Norman to a 4-3, eight-inning victory over North Iredell in an NPC game.
* Chris Beaver tossed a no-hitter to lead Mooresville to a 4-0 NPC victory over West Iredell. Aaron Meadows and Nathan Abraham had two hits each for the Blue Devils. John Crucitti had a run-scoring double.
Justin Livengood struck out 10 as Ledford (12-1, 5-0 CCC) beat Central Davidson (4-5, 2-2) and UNC-bound Chaz Frank 4-0.
* West Rowanís jayvees (7-4) beat A.L. Brown 8-7 behind the pitching of Chris Neal, who won his third game. Jonie Bautista had two hits and two RBIs, and Patrick Hampton scored three runs.
Southeast nipped North Rowan Middle 11-10. Andy Austin and K.J. Pressley had two hits each for the Patriots (3-0, 1-0).
Ethan Free was the winning pitcher.
* Prep soccer
Salisbury beat North Rowan 9-0 on Wednesday to run its record to 8-0.
Scoring two goals each were Lindsey Davis and Jamie Dagenhart. Scoring one goal were Karen Presnell, Madison Kennedy, Emily Shields, Allison Lee and MacKenzie Overcash.
Maria Tonseth and Kaitlyn Cuevas had two assists each. Marlee Murphy had one.
* East beat West Iredell 2-0. Colleen Cowie made one save for her fourth shutout.
Hannah Wilson and Rachel Hardy-Simpson scored for the Mustangs (4-5 NPC), who out-shot the Warriors 15-2. Tiffany McQueen and Brianna McLeod had assists. Katy Bryant was outstanding defensively.
Eastís jayvees won 4-0.
n Prep tennis
West Rowanís tennis team won its opening North Piedmont Conference match, beating North Iredell 6-3.
Singles winners were Joel Brittian, Ricky Meeks, Chris Holmes and Landon Locklear.
The doubles teams of Locklear-Holmes an Brittian-Meek were also winners for west (1-1).
East Rowan fell to Mooresville 8-1.
Eastís win came from No. 1 Andrew Blank, who won 7-5, 6-0.