• 46°

Laurel to the increase in North Carolina’s conviction rate for drunk driving cases. A Charlotte Observer study found that 72 percent of people charged with driving while impaired who took their cases to trial in 2006 were convicted, compared to 63 percent in 2003. Cabarrus and Rowan counties had a high rate, with 78 percent of the DWI suspects either pleading guilty or being convicted at trial. It would be interesting to know the details about the other 22 percent. These days a blood alcohol content of .08 or more makes conviction all but automatic. That’s as it should be. The message is clear, at least in this part of North Carolina ó if you’re charged with drunken driving, chances of wriggling your way out of a conviction are mighty slim. The best way to prevent accidents caused by drunken drivers is to keep them off the road in the first place.
– – –
Dart to a fish story that had some serious bite. An angler casting into the Catawba River last week reeled in a 1-pound piranha, a sharp-toothed carnivore that has provided the (exaggerated) feeding frenzy for many a grade-B jungle movie. While scientists say piranha aren’t the ravenous maneaters depicted in popular culture, they’re about as welcome in the Catawba as a leaky oil tanker. This one probably traveled the same path as a a snakehead fish snagged earlier this year in Lake Wylie. Somebody caught them elsewhere and transported them to North Carolina, oblivious to the environmental harm such interlopers can cause. Moral of the story: If you really want to swim with the piranha, go to the Amazon. We don’t need another ecological horror story here.
– – –
Laurels to Elizabeth Cress Patton, who for 26 years has been the face and heart of the Rape, Family and Child Abuse Crisis Council ó and the driving force behind it. When Patton took the job of Crisis Council executive director, a shelter for battered women was still just a dream, spousal abuse was a dark secret, and rape carried a stigma that made many women loathe to press charges. Though families still hide secrets, public attitudes toward victims of such crimes have changed tremendously through the years. So have the services available to them. Patton has been at the forefront of increasing awareness and programs. The Shelter for Battered Women is the most obvious symbol of that progress. It gives safe haven to women trying to escape abusive relationships, and it provides room for their children, as well. Less visible but just as important are the support groups the council hosts ó for children who witness domestic violence, for incest and rape survivors and for men dealing with anger problems. The list of programs goes on. Through it all, Patton has led the Crisis Council with compassion and wisdom. She has touched more lives than she may ever know.

Comments

Comments closed.

Crime

Habitual felon sentenced to at least 8 years in prison

Kannapolis

City of Kannapolis to have bike rodeo Saturday

Crime

Two more charged for operating illegal gambling businesses

Education

A.L. Brown celebrates seniors with signing day

Business

Rebounding, but not recovered: Rowan County tourism begins challenging path toward normalcy

High School

High school baseball: Padgett leads Mustangs; 100th win for West coach Graham

Coronavirus

RSS superintendent, Board of Health discuss strategies for increasing student vaccination rates

Education

East Spencer charter school files petition to contest charter revocation

Nation/World

Gas stations report shortages as pipeline shutdown drags on

News

Lawyers: Black man didn’t drive into deputies who shot him

Nation/World

Liz Cheney says Trump and GOP backers threaten democracy

Coronavirus

Rowan Health Department clarifies county’s COVID-19 death total is 301

Landis

Landis approves new land development ordinance, zoning map

Landis

Landis approves body camera, stun gun purchase for public safety officers

Crime

One charged, another dead on sheriff’s most wanted list

Crime

No injuries after car shot eight times on Old Concord Road

Education

RSS talks first steps for new federal relief totaling $66 million

China Grove

Gary’s Barbecue staff, customers look back at 50 years

News

Salisbury Lions Club names Person of the Year, Lion of the Year at 78th annual banquet

Education

Student COVID-19 numbers show first decline since plan A

High School

High school golf: Fowler competes in state tournament

News

Amazon announces new distribution center for North Carolina

News

House passes bill to bar Cooper from mandating COVID shot

Coronavirus

Rowan County sees death 302 from COVID-19; Health Department to host final mass vaccine clinic