Fields scores 9 in loss to Heels
From staff reports
N.C. State’s Shayla Fields (Salisbury) scored nine points in Sunday’s 86-65 loss to North Carolina.
* Sophilia Hipps (North Rowan) scored 15 points for South Carolina State in Saturday’s 51-47 loss to Morgan State.
* Maggie Rich (East Rowan) scored six points for Campbell in Saturday’s 67-41 win over Mercer.
* Allison Schafer (Davie County) scored 20 points in Mars Hill’s 73-63 loss to Wingate on Saturday.
* Ashley Watkins (Salisbury) scored four points for Queens in Saturday’s 56-41 loss to Belmont Abbey.
* Brittany Cornelius (East) led Meredith with 14 points in Saturday’s 64-46 loss to Peace.
* Tracey Croner (East) scored six points and had seven rebounds as Guilford lost to Lynchburg 55-41 on Saturday.
* Men’s college basketball
Avery Patterson (A.L. Brown) scored nine points for St. John’s in a 64-60 Big East victory over Syracuse on Sunday.
* Tristan Rankin (North Rowan) scored four points for St.Paul’s in Saturday’s 77-75 loss to J.C. Smith.
* Phillip Williams (West Rowan) scored four points for Winthrop in Saturday’s 62-59 victory over Radford.
* College track and field
College athletes from area schools competed in the Clemson Invitational Indoor Track Meet held over the weekend.
* Charlotte’s Tempess Stark (NW Cabarrus) tied for sixth in the 60-yard dash and was fifth in the 200 meters.
* Western Carolina’s Angela Stark (South Rowan) was 18th in the high jump with a leap of 5 feet, 1 inch.
* Western’s Daniel Joseph (NW Cabarrus) placed seventh in the triple jump.
* Western’s Brooke Saddler (A.L. Brown) ran on a seventh-place team in the women’s distance medley.
In the Appalachian Invitational that kicked off the indoor season, Appalachian State’s Bridget Robertson (Davie County) was ninth in the pole vault, while Adrianné Alexander (South) placed ninth for ASU in the shot put and eighth in the weight throw.
* UNC Asheville’s Dane Corriher (South) was 10th in the 400 meters in 51.57 seconds.
* Angela Stark was fifth in the high jump.
* Ryan Pless (East Rowan) was seventh in the shot put.
* Joseph posted fourth places in the high jump and triple jump.
* Western’s Rachel Karriker (East) placed 11th in the weight throw.
* Saddler placed sixth in the 800.
* Mullinax second in meet
South Rowan’s Makenzie Mullinax finished second in the pole vault at the The Eastern High School Challenge Track and Field Event in Chapel Hill.
Mullinax cleared 11 feet for a personal best.
Mullinax has qualified for the state indoor championships to be held at UNC in February.
Mullinax will also compete in upcoming meets at East Rowan, East Tennessee State and Clemson.
* Erwin wrestlers top Devils
Erwin’s wrestling team defeated China Grove 54-30. The Eagles (10-1) beat the Red Devils (10-2) for the second time this season.
Erwin coach Van Miller notched his 100th middle-school victory.
Results are in Scoreboard.
Erwin has a home match remaining with Knox on Wednesday, while the Red Devils have finished their regular season.
China Grove’s Eli Freeman, Marcus DiPietro, Juan Marquez and Micah Honeycutt finished the season undefeated.
The Rowan County Conference Tournament is at Knox on Saturday. A jayvee invitational tournament will be held at Knox on Feb. 3.
* Badboy wrestlers in action
The Landis-based Badboy Wrestling Team competed in in the National Invitational Qualifier Tournament held at Myrtle Beach
Bringing home Gold medals where Dominique Phifer and Michael York. Winning a silver medal was Jacob Dietz in the 115 and 120-pound weight classes.
Nick Sherrill won a bronze medal.
* Youth wrestling club
Rowan County Youth Wrestling Club is holding registration for seventh-graders and eighth-graders on Jan. 27 at Knox Middle School during the Rowan Middle School Conference Wrestling Tournament.
The cost is $55 and includes AAU card and two tournament entry fees. Contact Tim Pittman at 704-638-5289.
* South jayvee girls split
South Rowan’s jayvee girls basketball team lost to Mount Tabor 48-33 and defeated Davie County 43-41 in recent CPC games.
South’s Libby Sides had eight points, while Nikki Graham and Kayla Morrow had seven apiece against Mount Tabor. Graham had five steals. Morrow collected nine rebounds.
Ashley Edlin had nine points and 11 rebounds and hit the game-winning shot against Davie. Graham had 12 points and seven steals. Morrow had eight points and 13 rebounds.
* Rockwell Christian hoops
Rockwell Christian’s varsity boys basketball team beat Matthews Bible Baptist 57-25.
Lyle Branch (13 points), Taylor Honeycutt (12) and Jordan Blankenship (10) led the scoring for the Chargers (9-6).
Honeycutt scored 21 points in a 68-40 loss to Statesville Southview. Honeycutt, a 6-foot-4 junior, averages 18 points and 12 rebounds and has surpassed 700 points for his career.
* Cody Holstein had eight points to lead Rockwell’s jayvee boys (13-1) to a 39-17 win over Bible Baptist. Holstein also had eight points in a 38-22 win over Southview.
* Ashlee Miller had 16 points and 13 rebounds to lead Rockwell’s jayvee girls (7-8) to a 23-14 win over Bible Baptist. Miller had 10 points in a 28-6 over Southview.
* Sacred Heart tops Eagles
Sacred Heart’s girls basketball team beat North Hills Middle 35-30.
Kelly Dulkoski scored 21 points to lead the Dolphins (11-8) to their eighth straight victory. Sophia Pastorini added eight points.
Laura Butner scored 10 points and Margaret Kaufmann had six for the Eagles (8-4).
* Laney Gokey, Amanda Betner and Charlotte Mills led Sacred Heart’s jayvee girls to a 31-13 victory over Statesville Montessori.
* Erwin, China Grove split Erwin’s eighth-grade girls basketball team defeated China Grove 36-14. Abby Hogg, Mallory Drew and Taylor Honeycutt had six points each for the Eagles (9-4, 8-3). Olivia Sabo had 11 rebounds.
Sam Goins scored seven points for the Red Devils (2-10).
China Grove’s boys topped Erwin 53-33.
Nick Houston led the Red Devils with 15 points. Joseph Basinger scored 10.
Erwin (1-12, 1-10) was led by Will Sapp’s nine points. Jamey Blalock scored six points.
* Disregard an earlier report on results of a game between Salisbury Academy and Erwin’s seventh-graders. No score should have been recorded in that unofficial scrimmage.
* Free basketball clinic
Salisbury Parks and Recreation is holding a free Jr. Sting girls basketball clinic at Hall Gym on Feb. 10 from 10 a.m. until noon.
The clinic is for girls ages 7-15 and will be conducted by Salisbury coach Jennifer Shoaf.
* South Y church basketball
South YMCA is accepting registrations for its church league basketball program. Games begin the week of Feb. 12. There will be a mandatory coaches meeting this Thursday at 6:30 p.m. The fee is $425 per team and does not include jerseys.
Contact Gary Earnhardt at 704-857-7011.
* Catawba hoops reunion
All former Catawba men’s basketball players and coaches are encouraged to attend a reunion on campus on Feb. 9-10. A dinner will be held Feb. 9. Plans for Feb. 10 include a home game at 4 p.m. against Newberry and returning player recognition during halftime.
Contact Gordon Kirkland at 704-637-4394.
* Jump ropes, unicycles
The Triple Effects Junior Jump Rope and Unicycle team will perform routines when Catawba’s basketball team plays host to Carson-Newman this Saturday.
The jump-ropers will perform at halftime of the women’s game. The unicylists will perform at halftime of the men’s game.
The Triple Effects team is made up of about 25 youngsters from the Hickory area.
The women’s game starts at 2 p.m., with the men’s game set for 4 p.m.
* Titan swimmers top Davie
Davie County’s girls lost 86-82 to West Forsyth in a CPC swim meet.
Davie’s Taylor Moore won the 200 free and 500 free. Autumn Jones won the 100 free and 200 IM. Rachel Mackintosh won the 50 free.
That trio teamed with Summer Holland to win the 200 free relay and 400 free relay.
West Forsyth’s boys beat Davie 130-39.
* Eagles tab Rison for job
Mose Rison has been named interim head football coach at North Carolina Central. Central coach Rod Broadway recently accepted the head position at Grambling.
* USSSA umpires clinic
Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department is holding its annual USSSA State Umpires Certification Clinic.
The clinic will be held Sunday at the Salisbury Civic Center. USSSA directors are asked to meet at 11 a.m. The clinic begins at 1 p.m.
Cost of the clinic and certification is $60.
Anyone wanting to officiate in Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department leagues must be sanctioned through this clinic.
Contact Steve Clark at 704-638-5289.
* Spencer Little League
Spencer Little League will hold registration for spring baseball and softball programs on Fridays, Feb. 2 and Feb. 9, from 4-8 p.m., and on Saturdays, Feb. 3 and Feb. 10, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Eighth Street Ballpark.
Cost of registration is $40 for ages 8-12 and $60 for ages 13-16. League age is as of April 30, 2007.
Contact William Noles at 704-633-0151 or Chris Fries at 704-637-2766 for information.
* Rowan Little League
Rowan Little League sign-ups are from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. on Jan. 27 at Godley’s Garden Center. You may also register online anytime at http://www.eteamz.com/rowanlittleleague.
Cost is $40 for Coach Pitch and T-ball (ages 5-8). Cost is $ 60 for ages 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14. League age is as of April 30, 2007.
Contact Jeff Bernhardt at 704-855-9849.