Blue Bears split road doubleheader
From staff reports
Jonta’ Moss stayed hot.
Livingstone’s freshman sensation hit five 3-pointers and led the Blue Bear women to a 76-67 win at Virginia State on Tuesday.
Moss, recently honored as CIAA Freshman of the Week, got all 15 of her points on 3s.
LaTanya Walker added 13 points for the Blue Bears, including 7-for-7 at the foul line. Lina Brown and Kimone Johns added eight points each.
Livingstone (5-6) had a great night at the line, shooting 24-for-29. The Blue Bears led 41-29 at halftime.
* Livingstone’s men returned to action after a long layoff and showed rust in a 79-55 loss to Virginia State.
The Blue Bears (2-7) got 15 points from Ivan Jackson and 10 from Brent Cowles.
Livingstone shot 36.5 percent from the field. Virginia State sizzled with 55.6-percent shooting.
* College update
Tracey Croner (East Rowan) continued her spree on Tuesday for Guilford, pouring in 25 points in a 67-55 victory over Lynchburg.
* Brittany Cornelius (East) totaled 22 points and 12 rebounds in Meredith’s first two games back from Christmas break.
* Sophilia Hipps (North Rowan) scored 15 points for South Carolina State in Monday’s 62-53 loss to Maryland-Eastern Shore.
* Brittany Roberson (West Rowan) had four points and three rebounds in Monday’s 66-50 loss to Belmont Abbey.
* N.C. State’s Shayla Fields (Salisbury) scored five points in a 76-69 loss to Xavier on Sunday.
* Allison Schafer (Davie County) had 15 points for Mars Hill in Monday’s win over Newberry.
* Cliff Burns (Davie) has averaged 13.7 points and 10.4 rebounds for Brunswick Community College.
* Phillip Williams (West Rowan) scored 11 points and had five rebounds in Winthrop’s win over Charleston Southern on Monday.
* Knights sweep Davie
North Davidson swept Davie County’s basketball teams in a CPC doubleheader on Tuesday.
Howard Hurt scored 17 points to lead North Davidson’s boys to a 63-53 victory.
The Black Knights were keyed by a third-quarter run.
Drew Absher and Darius Hall scored 14 points apiece for the War Eagles. Eric Lowery had 11 points and five assists, and James Mayfield also had 11 points.
Davie’s Matt Vanhoy missed the game with the flu.
* Davie’s girls got a season-high 13 points from Sarah Evans but dropped a 54-44 decision to the second-place Black Knights. Rebecca Riddle had nine points for the War Eagles.
Freshman Katie Allen scored 15 points to lead North Davidson.
* Wonders bounce back
A.L. Brown’s boys basketball team rebounded from a rough stretch to crush SPC foe Parkwood 84-56 on Tuesday.
Josh Gray scored 28 points to match his career high, as the Wonders (10-5, 4-1) rolled.
Brown had lost three of its previous four games.
Big J.D. Davidson scored 14 points, and sophomore Billy Simiton added 10.
* Area prep hoops
East Davidson’s top-ranked girls stayed unbeaten by flattening Central Davidson 55-12.
Anna Freeman scored 13 points for the Golden Eagles, who led 31-5 at halftime.
* Lexington’s girls broke a 19-game losing streak by beating West Davidson 57-50 on Tuesday.
* People are still talking about Monday’s West Iredell-Mooresville NPC boys game. The Warriors came from 17 points down in regulation to beat the Blue Devils 55-47 in overtime.
* Erwin splits
Erwin’s eighth-grade girls defeated South Davie 44-26.
Erwin (7-4) was led by Taylor Honeycutt with 12 points and eight steals. Olivia Sabo scored 11. Mallory Drew had seven points, and Kristen Hatley added six.
* Shannon Dillard scored 12 points for South Davie’s boys in a 50-22 win over the Eagles (1-10). Erwin was led by Jamey Blalock’s seven points and eight rebounds. Will Sapp had seven steals.
* Knox girls win
Najwa Allison scored 16 points to lead the Knox eighth-grade girls basketball team to a 41-25 win over West Rowan Middle.
Jessica Lazenby led the Bulldogs with 10 points.
* North Hills hoops
The North Hills varsity boys lost to Woodland 70-38. Josh Richardson scored 12 points.
* The North Hills elementary team was defeated by Hickory Day 20-17. Conor Honeycutt led the Eagles with seven points.
* The North Hills varsity girls basketball team lost to Woodland 48-12.
* Jaguars sweep
Anna Flynn scored 10 points to lead Salisbury Academy’s jayvee girls basketball team to a 32-10 win over First Assembly. Sally Fowler added eight points for SA.
SA’s jayvee boys won 29-9.
* Dolphins win again
Sacred Heart’s boys basketball team (16-5) beat Our Lady of Grace 44-38.
Jack Young had 12 points and five steals. Colin Sullivan had eight points and 10 boards. Phil Tonseth had eight points and 12 boards. Connor Miller had five blocks.
* Bad Boys wrestling
The Bad Boys Youth Wrestling Club from Corriher-Lipe and Kannapolis Middle Schools, coached by Bo Beeker and Tony McKinney, wrestled in Greenville S.C., last weekend.
Winning gold medals were Cody Simpson, Lynn Gutierrez and Zach McMullin. Aaron Deason, Marcus Freeman, David Hood and Leo Pope won silver. Taking bronze were Javin Bugett, Shane Harris, and Joshua Allman.