Pfeiffer suffers high-scoring loss
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 9, 2007
From staff reports
Pfeiffer’s 11th-ranked men’s basketball team lost 104-94 to Fairmont State (W. Va.) in the finals of the Glenville State Classic on Sunday.
Pfeiffer (8-1) trailed 43-40 at halftime.
The Falcons were behind by as many as 20 points in the second half before rallying within seven points with 5:32 left in the game.
DeMario Grier scored 30 points on only 18 shots to lead the Falcons and was named to the all-tournament team.
Tavares Cooper produced 18 points and six rebounds and was 15-for-15 from the free-throw line in the tournament, despite playing with a flu bug.
Pfeiffer played without ill point guard Derek Moore. Freshman Marcus Hodges filled in for Moore and scored 11 points.
“Our guys really fought hard and never gave up,” Pfeiffer coach Dave Davis said. “We were a little short-handed without Derek, and we played like we were running out of gas.”
Pfeiffer plays in Washington D.C., on Wednesday at 6 p.m. against Columbia Union (0-11).
* College hoops update
Allison Schafer (Davie County) scored 26 points and had seven rebounds for Mars Hill in Saturday’s 85-79 win over Limestone.
Jessica Blanford (Robinson) had 12 points for the Lions. Mars Hill’s Abby DeBusk went over 1,000 career points in the game.
* Avery Patterson (A.L. Brown) scored 16 points for St.John’s in a 45-44 overtime win over Boston but had only three in a 63-51 loss to Hofstra.
Both games were part of the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.
Patterson is 39-for-104 on 3-pointers this season.
* Shamari Spears (Salisbury) had 10 points and a team-high 12 rebounds in Boston College’s 87-82 win over Northeastern on Sunday.
BC’s Tyrese Rice again had a hot hand, scoring 25 points. Rice lived in Salisbury as a youngster.
Rice is averaging 16.2 points a game, while Spears is averaging 8.0 points and 6.5 rebounds.
BC visits N.C. State on Jan. 6 and will play at Wake Forest on Jan. 9.
* Overseas hoops update
Carlos Dixon (South Rowan) helped the Jiangsu Dragons (9-2) defeat the Shaanxi Kylins 121-100 and the Dongguan Leopards 128-111 in games over the weekend in the Chinese Basketball Association.
Dixon scored 36 points and pulled down 12 rebounds in the two games.
* Damien Argrett (South, Pfeiffer) scored 27 points to lead his Usti nad Labem team in the Czech Republic to a 99-60 win over BK Sadska shortly before Christmas.
Argrett was back home for the holidays. He averages 18.6 points for Usti (6-10).
* Scooter Sherrill (West Rowan) played for Guerreros de Lara in Venezuela during the fall and was one of the top players for a team that lost to Argentina’s Boca Juniors in the finals of the South American championships.
* 3A NCPreps.com All-State football
West Rowan defensive lineman Tristan Dorty and kicker Ben Erdman, Northwest Cabarrus defensive lineman Jay Bostick and punter Andrew Crutchfield and Concord receiver Lance Lewis and “athlete” Dee Bost have been named to the NCPreps.com 3A All-State team.
Burns quarterback Lance Camp was named 3A Player of the Year.