SoCon honors Minter
From staff reports
Appalachian State junior Donte Minter (West Rowan) has been named the Southern Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week.
Minter earned the honor after leading the Mountaineers to a dramatic, come-from-behind 73-70 victory at VCU on Saturday.
Minter scored 17 of ASU’s final 20 points and finished with 25 points and 10 rebounds. He shot 9-for-13 from the field and 7-for-7 at the line.
“He can’t jump over a piece of paper, but he’s as skilled as anybody that you’re going to see,” Appalachian coach Houston Fancher told the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “He gets you just a little bit off-balance and he can score on anybody, regardless of league, race, gender.”
* Catawba opens SAC play
Catawba’s basketball teams begin SAC league play tonight at home against big rival Lenoir-Rhyne.
Catawba’s women (9-2) will take on the Bears (6-4) in the first game at 6 p.m. Hillary Hampton (West Rowan) is averaging 10.1 points a game to lead Catawba and is 15-for-36 on 3-pointers.
Amber Holt (13.5), Jami Safrit (11.5) and Denise Moore (10.1) lead the Bears.
Catawba’s men (5-6) have won three straight. Chris Wooldridge and Antonio Houston average 15.5 points a game. Brian Graves (12.9) is next in scoring.
Lenoir-Rhyne (6-4) is led by Josh Kindred (14.4), Reggie Bratton (12.6) and Marcus Springs (10.5).
* NCPreps.com media poll
The first NCPreps.com basketball media poll has been released.
East Rowan’s boys are ranked 10th in 4A. Concord’s boys are ranked seventh in 3A. East Davidson’s girls are ranked No. 1 in 2A.
* West Iredell wins NPC tilt Quan Rucker scored 20 points to lead West Iredell’s boys to a 57-51 basketball win over North Iredell in a battle of NPC contenders on Tuesday night.
The Warriors (9-3, 2-1) overcame a 12-point deficit to beat the Raiders.
Chris Tindal led North Iredell with 15 points.
The game included four technical fouls, three on the Raiders (8-3, 2-1).
* NCPreps.com 4A All-State Davie County’s record-setting junior quarterback Garrett Benge and junior safety Matt Oswell, who had 10 interceptions, were named to the NCPreps.Com 4A All-State team.
West Forsyth linebacker Kyle Jarrett, “athlete” John Stamper and Mount Tabor offensive lineman Mike White were the other CPC players on the team.
* Pfeiffer women lose Pfeiffer’s women’s basketball team lost to D-I Charleston Southern 75-68 on Tuesday night.
Kalee Smith led the Falcons (7-2) with 14 points and 13 rebounds.
Pfeiffer trailed by 10 at halftime.
Raven Truslow led Pfeiffer with 16 points. Ashelle Athill contributed 12 points and six rebounds off the bench.
* Stallions fall to Rebel Bulls The Cabarrus-Rowan homeschool girl basketball team fell to South Stanly 61-47. Kayleigh Mesimer scored 17 points for the Stallions (7-9). Hannah Holm had nine points.
The Cabarrus-Rowan homeschool boys lost to South Stanly 88-57. Christian Hicks scored 23 points for the Stallions (8-10). Kyle Kiker had 10 points.
* Honeycutt hot for Rockwell Taylor Honeycutt scored 35 points as Rockwell Christian’s basketball team beat Union Grove 63-48 on Tuesday.
* Magnuson takes silver Corriher-Lipe seventh-grader Scott Magnuson III won a silver medal at the AAU Denver Dragons Challenge at North Lincoln High on Saturday.
Magnuson competed at 150 pounds for the Bad Boys wrestling team.
By Susan Shinn Salisbury Post The pins are flying this afternoon at Woodleaf Lanes. Strikes and spares are the order... read more