Rowan Regional honors employees for service
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 26, 2006
SALISBURY — Twenty-two employees of Rowan Regional Medical Center recently received Oestreicher Service Recognition Awards worth a total of $5,000.
The awards are part of an Employee Appreciation Program begun by the late Irvin Wallace Oestreicher, a longtime Rowan Regional trustee and benefactor, and his late wife, Bert.
The Oestreichers donated $200,000 in 1988 to establish the program, and the Oestreichers’ daughter, Rachel Oestreicher Bernheim, and her husband, Charles A. Bernheim, carry on the family tradition and fund the annual awards, which range from $100 to $500.
Born in 1900, Irvin Oestreicher was a founding member of the Rowan Regional Medical Center Board of Directors and served on the board for more than 60 years, until his death in October 1997.
Together, Irvin and Bert Oestreicher funded the Whitehead McKenzie Medical Library, the Frank B. Marsh Coronary Care Unit, the recovery room, the operating room and other programs for patients.
Bert Oestreicher was involved with the Rowan Regional Medical Center Auxiliary since its earliest years. She was auxiliary president in 1958 and helped create Rowan Regional’s Hospitality Shop, which opened in 1952. Formed in 1936, the auxiliary helps raise funds for the medical center and promote better community relations. Bert Oestreicher died in 1999.
“My husband, Charles Bernheim, and I are pleased to honor the memory of our parents, Bert and Irvin Oestreicher,” Rachel Oestreicher Bernheim said in a press release. “Mother and Dad set up this fund because they deeply appreciated the compassion, kindness and loving care given by the medical center staff to all who walk through Rowan Regional’s doors.
“They would especially appreciate the medical center’s new patient tower and Emergency Department because of all the services this facility provides to the local community. The Oestreicher Fund acknowledges and shows appreciation for the service of staff members who are part of the Rowan Regional Medical Center family.”
“The medical center is grateful for the generous support of the Oestreicher-Bernheim family,” Charles W. Elliott, Rowan Regional’s chief executive officer, said in the same press release. “Their contributions and support over the years have made a lasting and positive impact on Rowan Regional and its employees.”
Oestreicher Award winners for 2006 include:
* Michelle Fife, central distribution, Rowan Regional Medical Park.
* Lillie Harrell, environmental services.
* Henrietta Johnson, food and dietary services.
* Wilburn McDaniel, facilities services.
* Cathie Carroll, transportation.
* Kay Chunn, central processing.
* Tillie Jackson, linen distribution.
* Stephanie Kennedy, surgical services.
* Renetta McNeely, central processing.
* Jacqueline Mills, medical services.
* Mary Roseboro, environmental services.
* John Sifford, environmental services.
* Kady Brown, materials management.
* Teressa Davidson, food and dietary services.
* Johnny Freeman, facilities services.
* Audie Gonzales, health information management.
* Robin Johnson, emergency services.
* Sandra Leach, somen’s and children’s services.
* Willie Miller, environmental services.
* Angela Rushing, coronary care unit.
* Crystal Swaney, laboratory.
* Renee Upright, business office.
The Oestreicher winners also were recognized at the medical center’s annual holiday event held last week.