Looking back: Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame started at Cannon High School in Kannapolis in 1937 as a tribute to those students who were outstanding in the various high school sports, and it has continued until now.
That year, those who earned the tribute were Lewis Alexander, for his performance in tennis; Jim Bonds, for basketball; Rankin Baker, swimming; Pete Mitchell, baseball; and Elmer Cannon, football.
Since 1937, many more names have been added to that list.
In 1938, they were Helen Wilkerson, girls’ basketball; Sam Collins, baseball; Elmer Cannon, football; Bob Workman, tennis; Luke Freeze, boys’ basketball; Pete Williams, swimming; and Doug Leazer, football.
In 1939, the group earning the tribute included Jamima Powell (DeMarcus), one of the softball pitchers; Grover Ellison, baseball; Margaret Leazer, basketball; Lewis Davis, basketball; Inez Walter, tennis; Albert Sloop, tennis; and Al Cloninger, football.
And in 1940, the Hall of Fame tribute in the Cannon Report, which was the name at that time of the Cannon High School annual, was in the above photo, left to right, Fay Nell Coley, Bill Byrd, Clifford Fowler, Melba Triece, Bobby McClary, Jamima Powell and “Hoby” Ellison.
For Looking Back information or to submit a picture, contact Rose Post at 704-797-4251 or rpost@salisburypost. com.