Runoff today in Democratic primary for 5th Congressional District
Voters in 12 Rowan County precincts can take part today in a second primary to determine the Democratic candidate in the 5th U.S. House District Race.
The runoff pits Gardenia Henley of Winston-Salem against Joshua Brannon of Vilas for the chance to challenge incumbent Republican U.S. Rep. Virginia Foxx in the fall.
Brannon finished first and Henley second in a field of four Democrats seeking the nomination in the May 6 primaries. Because Brannon did not get 40 percent of the total ballots cast — he finished with 33 percent — Henley, who got 26.5 percent of the vote, was eligible to call for a runoff.
Democrats who live in the district are eligible to vote, along with unaffiliated voters who live in the district and voted a Democrat ballot or did not vote in the May primaries.
Polls will be open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. today at the following precincts:
• Cleveland: Cleveland Town Hall, 302 E. Main St.
• Franklin: Shoaf’s Wagon Wheel, 6430 U.S. 601
• Milford Hills County: West Rowan Middle School Media Center on U.S. 70
• North Locke: Salem Lutheran Church in the Fellowship Building
• Mount Ulla: Mount Ulla Station with the West Rowan Fire Department
• Scotch Irish: Scotch Irish Fire Department
• Steele: West Rowan High School’s auditorium
• Unity: Woodleaf Fire Department, 3500 N.C. 801
• West Innes: Knox Middle School’s gym
• North Ward: City Park Recreational Building
• Milford Hills City: Isenberg Elementary School at 2800 Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Ellis: Ellis Park at 3521 Old Mocksville Road in Ellis