Area Sports Briefs
Rookie driver Justin Allison earned his career best finish of third in his ARCA debut in Michigan.
The third-place finish followed a seventh at Toledo and a fifth at Pocono.
Allison qualified the No. 88 HaVACo Ford Fusion 12th for the Corrigan Oil 200 at Michigan International Speedway.
Allison led the race for three laps.
Team BCR and Justin Allison plan to compete at Chicagoland Speedway on July 19.
Catawba’s Paul Kronenfeld has signed with the Cincinatti Reds. The senior was a 25th-round draft pick.
• The Kannapolis Intimidators lost 7-1 to Greensboro on Sunday to finish the first half of the SAL season.
The Intimidators dropped their last five before the break.
Greensboro won the Northern Division first-half championship.
Pitcher Matt Abramson was named to represent the Intimidators in the SAL All-Star Game.
• L.A. Dodgers prospect Corey Seager was ranked as baseball’s No. 11 prospect by ESPN’s Keith Law recently.
Seager (NW Cabarrus, Kannapolis Legion) is batting .344 with 12 homers, 24 doubles and 49 RBIs after 60 games in advanced Class A.
• K.C. Royals prospect Whit Merrifield (Davie) had three hits on Sunday and is batting .375 (12-for32) since being promoted to Triple-A Omaha.
• Nick Lomascolo (Catawba) pitched a scoreless inning in relief for the State College Spikes on Sunday. Lomascolo bounced back from a rough outing on Friday in his season debut.
Warrior Junior Camps
June 23-26 (Monday-Thursday), 8:30-11
July 28-31 (Monday-Thursday), 8:30-11
Cost is $85 per camper
Contact Andrew Beaver at 704-856-0871, ext, 1, for information.
The second member-guest tournament was held on Saturday. The format was Best Ball of partners Gross and Net Division.
First gross: Justin Lefler-Lee Frick and Jared Barnette-Ken Clarke shot 65s
First net: Jason Virden-Jeff Faggart shot 60.
Salisbury’s Clint Comadoll was named Central Carolina Conference Male Athlete of the Year for the 2013-14 school year.
Comadoll made All-CCC teams twice in three different sports: football, soccer, and tennis. A member of the National Honor Society, he was part of the state championship football team in 2010 and the 2A state champs in soccer in 2011 and 2013.
• West Davidson soccer player and distance runner Callie Wynn was named Central Carolina Conference Female Athlete of the Year.
She’s ranked No. 1 in her class and is headed to Duke. She’ll compete in cross country and track.
Wynn won a state championship and placed five times in state competition.
• West Davidson was awarded the Charles England Sportsmanship Award for the fourth consecutive school year.
Rowan Junior Legion won 9-8 against Lake Norman on Sunday.