1839 Cyrus West House

  • Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:01 a.m.

1839 Cyrus West House

203 S. Main St.

This two-story, late Federal brick house was constructed in 1839 by Cyrus West, a local carriage maker, and replaced an earlier building constructed in 1791.

The upper floor of the house remains largely original, including decorative wood mantles, molding and 6-over-6 (the number of panes of glass in each sash) wood windows.


The ground floor was greatly modified during the first quarter of the 20th century, for commercial uses.

The house has served as a residence, boarding house, electrical supply store, café, restaurant, print shop and watch repair shop.

It appears that the building was constructed for multi-use, since Leander Killian, M.D. had his medical office here in 1839, at the time Cyrus West and his family lived upstairs.

Merchant R.J. Swicegood purchased the property in 1877 and lived above his store, with his family.

The property was sold again in 1919, to Leo and Jake Wallace, who founded Wallace Realty. The Wallace Family continues to own the property today.


Commenting is not allowed on this article.