Expert: Collapsed NC deck may have been damaged

  • Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:20 a.m.

OCEAN ISLE BEACH (AP) — A building expert says the collapse of a second-story deck at a house in Brunswick County indicates the deck may have sustained storm damage.

Twenty-one people were injured, five of them admitted to hospitals, after the deck collapsed in Ocean Isle Beach Tuesday night. The 21 had gathered on the deck for a picture.


North Carolina Building Inspectors Association President Glenn Batten says the deck should have held that many people.

Batten says the fact it collapsed tells him the deck may have suffered hurricane damage. He says if the house had been through the winds of a couple of hurricanes, some of the fasteners may have been pulled and stretched to their limits.

The investigation into the cause of the collapse continues.

Notice about comments:

Salisburypost.com is pleased to offer readers the ability to comment on stories. We expect our readers to engage in lively, yet civil discourse. Salisburypost.com cannot promise that readers will not occasionally find offensive or inaccurate comments posted in the comments area. Responsibility for the statements posted lies with the person submitting the comment, not Salisburypost.com. If you find a comment that is objectionable, please click "report abuse" and we will review it for possible removal. Please be reminded, however, that in accordance with our Terms of Use and federal law, we are under no obligation to remove any third party comments posted on our website. Full terms and conditions can be read here.

Do not post the following:

  • Potentially libelous statements or damaging innuendo.
  • Obscene, explicit, or racist language.
  • Personal attacks, insults or threats.
  • The use of another person's real name to disguise your identity.
  • Comments unrelated to the story.