Area Sports Briefs
From staff reports
Catawba first baseman Chris Dula was named Daktronics Player of the Year for the Southeast Region. Dula batted .402 with 14 homers and 54 RBIs.
Catawba pitcher Nick Lomascolo also was named to the All-Southeast Region first team. Lomascolo was 10-3 with a 2.14 ERA and 123 strikeouts.
Catawba second baseman Julio Zubillaga (Carson) was named to all-region second team. Zubillaga batted .328 with 39 RBIs.
East-West All-Star Game football rosters were released.
West Rowan offensive lineman Brandon Hansen, West linebacker Logan Stoodley, East Rowan defensive lineman T.J. Jefferson, Concord receiver Zosh Heilig, Mount Pleasant linebacker Ryan Johns, West Davidson DB Austin Teague and, Statesville DB Marquis Willis.
Major league baseball
Bobby Parnell (East Rowan) notched his fourth save of the season Thursday as the New York Mets beat St. Louis 5-2.
Parnell allowed one hit in the ninth, but got a strikeout of Pete Kozma to end the game.
Parnell (4-0) lowered his ERA to 1.04 and has allowed one run in his last 10 relief appearances.
• Seattle’s Kyle Seager (NW Cabarrus) is batting .278 with 21 RBIs and hit his fifth homer on Wednesday.
Minor league baseball
Hagerstown scored nine runs in the seventh and eighth and beat Kannapolis 10-7 at CMC-NorthEast Stadium on Thursday.
Kale Kiser and Jason Coats homered as the Intimidators (14-23) took a 4-1 lead.
• Corey Seager (NW Cabarrus) batted .300 in his last 10 games and has raised his batting average to .267, but he’s currently on the 7-day disabled list with a hamstring problem.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) had a double on Thursday, but he’s still scuffling at Triple A Indianapolis. Sands is batting .154 with 10 RBIs and still is looking for his first homer.
• Daniel Wagner (South Rowan) is batting .296 at Double A Birmingham.
• Whit Merrifield (Davie) also is on the 7-day DL at Northwest Arkansas.
• J.J. Jankowski (Catawba) is 2-0 with a 2.87 ERA for Quad Cities in A ball.
The annual Salisbury Rotary Tennis Tournament will be held this weekend at City Park and the Country Club of Salisbury.
Singles and doubles competition is slated for juniors and adults as well as mixed doubles. Participating players include beginners to local state champions and a previous national collegiate champion.
Go to www.rotarytennis.wordpress.com for the schedule. Proceeds will help purchase flags for the Patriots Flag Concourse and Memorial. The Memorial is celebrating Armed Forces Day on Saturday, May 18.
Dual team state tennis championship matches are set for Saturday.
In 1A, Elkin (17-0) plays Durham Science and Math *16-2). In 2A, Carrboro (20-1) plays Shelby (20-0). In 3A, Cardinal Gibbons (25-0) battles Charlotte Catholic (14-2). In 4A, Raleigh Millbrook (18-3) takes on R.J. Reynolds (20-4).
Cindy Carmazzi shot 69 to win low net in Women’s Golf Association play at the Country Club of Salisbury.
Blanche Glover shot 71 for second, and Jayne Hubbard took third with a 78.
• In the eGolf Tour’s Palisades Classic in Charlotte, Will Collins (Salisbury) has shot 68-69 — 137 and is tied for 14th after two rounds. Salisbury’s Frank Adams III has shot 70-70 and is tied for 33rd at 140.