Area Sports Briefs
From staff reports
Catawba is ranked 13th in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper preseason poll that was released on Sunday.
West Chester is ranked No. 1, with Delta State second, and Mount Olive third.
Tusculum is 17th.
Catawba is coming off a 45-17 season in which it won a regional title and advanced to the D-II World Series for the first time.
Catawba is scheduled to open on Feb. 1 with games at Newman Park against Pfeiffer and Tusculum.
Conference play starts Feb. 15-16 at Newman against Wingate.
The Indians have a host of local players on the roster, including South Rowan’s Blake Houston; Carson’s Julio Zubillaga, Gunnar Hogan, Ethan Free and Austin Bracewell; East Rowan’s Zach Smith, Will Johnson and Alex Bost; North Rowan’s Matt Laurens; A.L. Brown’s John J. Tuttle, and Davie’s Will Beeson and Joe Watson.
College women’s hoops
Fayetteville State’s DaQuondra Cuthbertson (North Rowan) had two points and five rebounds as the Broncos rallied to beat Virginia State 57-51 in a CIAA game on Saturday.
• De’Rya Wylie (Salisbury) had nine points and seven rebounds in Elizabeth City State’s 70-60 CIAA win against St. Augustine’s on Saturday. Elizabeth City State plays at Livingstone on Thursday.
• In a 64-42 loss to High Point on Saturday, Gardner-Webb’s Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) had seven points and seven rebounds, while Doreen Richardson (Salisbury) had eight points, 10 rebounds and three steals for the Bulldogs.
Rio Grande’s Kaleb Kimber (West Rowan) scored nine points in a win against Campbellsville and had four in a loss to Lindsey Wilson. Kimber is averaging 5.7 points per game with a season-high of 16.
• Alex Weant (Salisbury) had six rebounds in 14 minutes for Roanoke in Saturday’s 64-57 loss to Bridgewater.
• Jacquise Moore (Concord) is averaging 12.2 points and 7.3 rebounds for Wallace State Community College.
•Kendall Knorr (Concord) hit three 3-pointers for Navy in Saturday’s 74-68 loss to Norfolk State.
•Livingstone is back in action tonight at Lincoln (Pa.) for its third game in a CIAA road swing. The Blue Bears (10-1) will be home Thursday.
• Catawba returns to action this week when it hosts Brevard on Wednesday.
The McCanless Couples played with a four-man Captain’s Choice format on Sunday.
First-place team members were Chris and Heidi Curtis, Rick Carlton and Don Goodnight.
The team of Gene Seaford, Glen Trexler, Tommy Reynolds and Tim Earnhardt placed second.
The longest putt on No. 6 was won by Ricky Honeycutt.
The Salisbury High Athletic Boosters are meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in Classroom 105. Come see what the boosters do to support 34 Salisbury High sports teams.