Kannapolis resident, home saved by fire safety equipment
KANNAPOLIS — A Kannapolis woman’s smoke detector and fire extinguisher helped save her life and her home early Friday morning, fire officials said.
At 1:22 a.m. Friday, the woman awoke to the smoke alarm sounding and smoke filling her bedroom, according to a Kannapolis Fire Department press release. She immediately called 911.
Kannapolis Fire Department responded to the call at 3180 Lock Erne Ave. in the Kellswater Subdivision off of Kannapolis Parkway.
Firefighters arrived to find no fire but smoke throughout the home. Before they got there, the resident had extinguished the flames with a 1-pound fire extinguisher. Kannapolis Fire Investigator Scott Carpenter commended the resident for her safety consciousness and quick thinking.
“The fire started near the bed,” he said in the press release. “If it had not been for working smoke alarms, this resident may not have known there was a fire until it was too late to act. ... By using the fire extinguisher, she extinguished the fire, saving herself and her home.”
The resident suffered minor injuries that did not require medical treatment.