Sacred Heart’s girls beat North Hills in the final to win the varsity championship of Sacred Heart’s Holiday Basketball Tournament.
Forsyth Country Day beat Statesville Christian for third place.
• In the varsity boys tournament, Forsyth County Day topped Sacred Heart in the championship game.
Statesville Christian beat the Cabarrus Homeschool Stallions for third place.
• In the jayvee tournament, Forsyth County Day’s boys beat Sacred Heart in the championship game.
In the third-place game, Statesville Christian won against North Hills.
• In the girls jayvee tournament, Forsyth County Day beat Statesville Christian for the championship.
In the third-place game, Sacred Heart beat North Hills.
• Sacred Heart will hold its annual alumni event on Thursday, Dec. 20.
The Alumni Classic is dedicated to the memory of former students Jack Campbell and Paul Mendez, both of whom died young of cancer.
Events will include a students vs. teachers game and girls and boys alumni games. The alumni games start at 6 p.m.
South Rowan’s swim teams stayed unbeaten by sweeping a meet with West Iredell, North Iredell and Carson at the Corriher YMCA.
South’s boys scored 189 points to top NPC opponents Carson (110), North Iredell (103) and West Iredell (101).
Luke Rary (200 IM and 100 butterfly), Jeremiah Bradshaw (500 free), Bonner Buchanan (100 free) and Nathan Shorter (100 breaststroke) were individual winners for the Raiders.
South swept the relays, with Buchanan, Shorter, Bradshaw and Dillon Parker winning the 200 medley relay; Buchanan, Tyler Fuller, Parker and Rary winning the 200 freestyle, and Bradshaw, Bryan Bettis, Bradley Bettis and Rary winning the 400 freestyle relay.
John Patella led Carson. He was second in the 200 IM and swam on three second-place relay teams.
• South’s girls scored 182 points to top Carson (120), North Iredell (116) and West Iredell (71).
Leslie Franks broke the school record in the 100 breaststroke, topping a mark set by Candice Edwards in 2004. That had been the longest-standing record at South.
Taylor Kluttz (100 free, 200 free), Franks (50 free, 100 breaststroke) and Nicole Mauldin (100 IM and 100 fly) were double winners. Casey Pruitt won the 500 free, while Faith Casswell won the 100 backstroke.
Casswell, Kelly, Pruitt and Madyson Campbell won the 200 medley relay. Mauldin, Sydney Kelly, Kluttz and Franks won the 200 freestyle relay. Mauldin, Casswell, Kluttz and Franks won the 400 freestyle relay.
Carson was led by second places by Taylor Barringer (100 breaststroke) and Erin Marohn (100 butterfly).
College indoor track
In the Appalachian Invitational, Lees-McRae’s Evan Webb (East Rowan) won the pole vault. Webb cleared 16 feet, 3/4 inches.
Western Carolina’s Keith Leonard (East) was eighth (14-11/4) in the event.
• WCU’s Garrett West (NW Cabarrus) was third in the 800 (1:55.31) in the Appalachian Invitational.
• Liberty freshman Cole Honeycutt (East Rowan) placed second in the 800 (1.57.92) in the Liberty Kickoff, his first college meet.
• WCU’s Alisha Bradshaw (Salisbury) was fifth in the weight throw (52-13/4) in the Appalachian Invitational and sixth in the shot put (39-73/4).
• Tavis Bailey (A.L. Brown) is poised for a big indoor season for Tennessee. Bailey was second-team All-SEC as a freshman in outdoors competition. He was second in the SEC Championships in the discus and ninth in the shot put.
College women’s basketball
Gardner-Webb’s Jessica Heilig (Salisbury) scored 11 points in a 65-62 loss to Coastal Carolina on Saturday.
De’Rya Wylie (Salisbury) had 10 points and five rebounds for Elizabeth City State in a 79-48 romp against Washington Adventist.
Katelynne Poole (East Rowan) hit two 3-pointers to help Brevard beat Mars Hill 79-74 on Saturday.
Shi-Heria Shipp (Salisbury) had seven points and three steals for George Washington in a 70-54 loss to Georgetown.
Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) scored four points for Charlotte in a 62-59 win against Central Florida.
Ayana Avery (West Rowan) scored eight points for Radford in a 67-65 loss to Liberty.
• Taylor May (South Rowan) is shooting 53 percent from the floor and is averaging 7.8 points per game for Catawba.
College men’s basketball
Roanoke’s Alex Weant (Salisbury) had three points and three rebounds in Saturday’s 82-76 loss to Eastern Mennonite. Weant averages 7.0 points per game. He scored 15 against Goucher and 13 against Johnson & Wales.
• Rio Grande’s Kaleb Kimber (West Rowan) is averaging 5.1 points per game. He scored seven in Saturday’s 83-66 loss to Pikeville.
• Nick Houston (Carson) has made nine 3-pointers in Catawba’s first six games. Houston, a redshirt freshman, is playing about 15 minutes per contest and is averaging 5.2 points.
Wingate swept Tusculum on Saturday in Savannah, Ga., to win the Southeast Regional.
The Rowan Razorbacks baseball organization will hold tryouts and an informational meeting for 9-under travel baseball.
Tryouts will be held at Salisbury Community Park on Dec. 9 from 2-4 p.m. The bad weather site will be Kidsports.
If you will be 8 or 9 prior to April 30, 2013, and are interested in playing travel baseball, contact Larry Gouge at 704-636-5476.