Area Sports Briefs: Harwood records ace at Warrior
From staff reports
Nancy Harwood made her first hole-in-one last Sunday, May 17, on the No. 6 hole at Warrior Golf Club.
She used a 6 hybrid on the 92-yard hole. She was playing with Dean Harwood and George Daniels.
High school football
Salisbury linebacker Jalon Walker (Class of 2022) has received another offer — from Texas.
Some youth and high school sports may resume soon in North Carolina.
N.C. Governor Roy Cooper and N.C. Department of Health and Human Services secretary Dr. Mandy Cohen released recommendations for non-contact sports to resume in Phase 2 of the state’s re-opening plan. Phase 2 went into effect at 5 p.m. on Friday.
The recommendations apply to sports, including baseball, swimming and golf. They will be allowed to resume as long as guidelines are followed.
Sports with greater contact, such as basketball and football, are still off the board for now.
Guidelines for schools, colleges and youth sports include:
▪ Limiting sports activities to those where participants can maintain social distancing. That list includes golf, baseball, swimming, tennis and track
▪ For football, competitive cheer, lacrosse, basketball, soccer and wrestling, the state recommends activities be limited to conditioning drills.
▪ Marking off common seating areas like dugouts or bleachers. Having individuals work out in pods with the same group always together. Reminding individuals to not shake hands, give high fives or fist bumps.
▪ A strong recommendation was made that athletes, staff and participants wear a cloth face covering when not actively engaged in physical activity or when they may be close to other people.
“We’re not recommending that contact sports go forward,” Cohen said. “Non-contact sports can go forward with some guidelines.”
The National Federation of State High Schools released a plan for states to gradually bring back sports last week. Their guidelines broke down sports by levels of rosk — lower risk, moderate and higher risk.
The NCHSAA said it would allow sports to resume June 1, provided that member schools had clearance from local and state government.
The NCHSAA has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday at 4 p.m. to discuss plans.
ECU drops swimming, tennis
East Carolina announced cuts to athletic programs, eliminating men’s and women’s swimming and diving and men’s and women’s tennis.
The school said the move would impact 68 student-athletes and nine coaches. The elimination of the programs is projected to save $4.9 million in the long term.
Salisbury High grad Ethan Knorr is a member of the ECU men’s swim team. His sister, Katie (Class of 2021 at Salisbury), had committed to ECU women’s program a few weeks ago.
East Carolina faced a $7.5 million deficit this fiscal year. The coronavirus pandemic increased that deficit to around $10.2 million.
ECU said it will honor scholarships for student-athletes who want to continue their studies at East Carolina and will complete their degree in four years.
By Liz Moomey firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — The first pitch for the Cannon Ballers at the new Atrium Health Ballpark was... read more