County jail inmate charged after he was found with sharpened toothbrush
By Shavonne Potts
SALISBURY — A Rowan County jail inmate was charged with having a dangerous weapon after he was found with a sharpened toothbrush in his cell, said Rowan County Sheriff’s Capt. John Sifford.
The inmate, Cornelius Lamar Butler, 22, was charged on Monday with felony possession of a dangerous weapon in a prison. He had already been in the county since his December 2019 arrest.
Butler had been at the jail annex, 400 Grace Church Road, when a detention center officer conducting a security check found the filed down toothbrush inside Butler’s property box.
The toothbrush was found in a toothpaste container inside the property box, which contained other toiletries. The detention center officer noted the orange toothbrush was the same kind that was sold at the jail commissary, Sifford said.
Butler made a threat to the officer and was placed on lockdown. While he was on lockdown his property box was searched, Sifford said.
Butler was issued a $2,500 secured bond. He’d already been held on bond for assault by pointing a gun, discharging a firearm into occupied property, felony breaking and entering, carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a firearm by a felon and misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports
• A woman reported on Monday her cellphone was stolen outside the Rowan County Justice Center, 232 N. Main St.
• A man reported on Monday he was the victim of a burglary in the 1400 block of Henderson Grove Church Road.
• A man reported on Monday he was the victim of vandalism in the 1400 block of Bringle Ferry Road.
• A woman reported on Monday she was the victim of a break-in sometime between June 21, 2019, and Monday in the 6200 block of River Road, Richfield. She had shown some expensive coins to someone and realized someone had taken them months later.
• A woman reported on Monday someone stole belongings from her vehicle while parked in the 300 block of Hall Road, Mount Ulla.
• A woman reported on Monday she was the victim of larceny in the 200 block of Carolyn Road.
• Jason Scott Rimmer, 40, was charged on Monday with felony breaking and entering while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Don McDaniel Smith, 65, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor assault on a law enforcement officer while in the 1800 block of West C Street, Kannapolis.
SALISBURY – The Duke Energy Foundation announced $810,000 in grants to support North Carolina K-12 programs focused on summer reading... read more