• 75°

Update: Flood warning; Tornado Warning, Rowan weather: Heavy rain, possible flooding and strong storms

UPDATE, 5:10 p.m.: Rowan is under a flood warning until 11 p.m.

UPDATE, 4:50 p.m.: County roads closed or narrowed:

• Bear Poplar Road closed in both directions to to high water.

• Graham Road, both directions, closed due to high water at bridge.

• Upright Road, both directions at bridge, due to high water.

• Old Beatty Ford Road impassable in both directions at Dutch Buffalo Creek

• Sisk carter Road, both directions due to trees and power lines down.

• U.S. 52, road narrowed by high water.

• Richfield Road flooded at Flat Creek.

• Mocksville Avenue, both directions due to high water.

• Hollywood Drive in Spencer, closed in both directions due to high water.

UPDATE, 4:31 p.m.: City of Salisbury updates road closings:

• 2100 North Park Drive (CLOSED near ball field)

 S. McCoy Road and E. Colonial Drive (open)

 Old Wilkesboro Road at Industrial Avenue (open)

 Old Mocksville Road (Prescott Drive and Dogwood Road) – CLOSED

 N. Main Street and E. Henderson Street (open)

 W. Park Road and Catawba Road (open)

 Statesville Blvd. and Meadowbrook (open)

 Mocksville Ave. and Mahaley Ave. (open)

 Rowan Circle and Terrace Drive Intersection – CLOSED

 700 Block of N. Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue – CLOSED

 Sherwood Street and D. Avenue (open)

 14th Street and Richard Street – CLOSED

  Park Road near Knox Middle School (open)

 S. Railroad and E. Military Avenue (open)

 700 block of Pinehurst Street (open)

 Prescott Drive and Knollwood Avenue (open)

 Town and Country trailer park on Mooresville Road (open)

 Town Creek trailer park on Bringle Ferry Road (open)

 W. 17th Street (open)

UPDATE, 2:47 p.m.: The tornado watch for Rowan County has been lifted.

UPDATE, 1:25 p.m.: Rowan is now under a flood advisory through 3:15 p.m, with widespread reports of street flooding, flooded creeks and standing water.

Areas of Rowan County have had almost 3 inches of rain.

Heavy rainfall will cause ponding of water in urban areas, streets and underpasses, as well as other poor drainage areas and low lying spots. Rapid rises on small creeks and streams will also occur, possibly flooding low water crossings and farmland.

Do not attempt to travel across flooded roads. Remember: turn around, down’t drown.

The city of Salisbury has closed several roads:

• Old Mocksville Road and Caldwell Road

• N. Main Street and E. Henderson Street

• W. Park Road and Catawba Road

• Statesville Blvd. and Meadowbrook

• Mocksville Ave. and Mahaley Ave.

 Pinehurst Street

 Rowan Circle

• 700 Block of Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue

• Sherwood Street and D. Avenue

 14th Street and Richard Street

 Park Road near Overton and Knox

• Military Avenue

Update, 11:45 a.m.: Tornado warning has been extended to 12:15 p.m.

Update: 10:50 a.m.: Tornado warning for most of Rowan County, including downtown Salisbury, through 11:30 a.m.

Severe thunderstorm warning for Rowan through 11:30 a.m.; winds could gust to 60 mph.

Salisbury City buses not running.

Original story: The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch effective until 5 p.m. today. A watch means conditions are favorable for the formation of tornadoes.

A warning has been issued for western Iredell County. Strong to severe storms will approach Mount Ulla, Woodleaf and the area around 11 a.m.

The watch includes Cabarrus, Davie, Davidson, Iredell and Stanly counties, as well as the Charlotte are and the Triad.

Tornado warnings have been issued in southeastern Catawba County and  Lincoln County.

Rowan remains under a flood watch until midnight Friday, with a possibility the watch could become a warning. Heavy rainfall is impacting the morning commute, with even more intense rain and storms expected this afternoon.

Rain could fall at the rate of 1 inch per hour. Streams, creeks and rivers could flood. Flooded roads are also a possibility. Rowan will likely have 2-4 inches of rain.

In addition to the heavy rain, thunderstorms are expected to develop this afternoon and evening, and could be strong to severe, with frequent lightning, damaging wind gusts and the possibility of tornadoes, along the southeast of I-85.

Patchy fog is also likely between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. The high will be 68, with south wind at 11-16 mph, gusting to 33 mph.

Tonight, thunderstorms should taper off by 11 p.m., followed by showers. The low will be 47, with south southwest wind at 8-14 mph, gusting to 23 mph. Another half to three-quarters inch of rain is possible.

Friday will start with a 30 percent chance of showers, then become partly sunny, with a cooler high of 52. The temperature will drop to 46 by 5 p.m. West wind will be at 16-18 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.

Friday night will be clear and cold, with more wind. Winds will be west at 5-10 mph, with gusts around 18 mph. The low will be 29.

Saturday will be partly sunny and chilly, with a high of 47. A 40 percent chance of rain is possible after 3 p.m. Winds will be south southwest around 5-7 mph.

A few snow flakes are possible Saturday night, especially after 1 p.m., but it should be gone by morning. It will be partly cloudy and 32, with a 30 percent chance of precipitation.

Sunday will be sunny and 55. The low will be 38, with mostly cloudy skies.

Monday will be mostly cloudy, with a high of 62. A 40 percent chance of rain moves in after 1 p.m. The chance of rain Monday night will be 60 percent, mostly after 10 p.m. It will be cloudy and 50.

Tuesday will also have a 60 percent chance of rain. It will be cloudy and 65. The chance of rain decreases to 40 percent Tuesday night, with a low of 43.

Wednesday will be partly sunny and 60, with a 40 percent chance of rain.

Comments

Local

Torch Run returns to Rowan streets, raises money for Special Olympics

Crime

Fish arcade company drops suit against Rowan County Sheriff’s Office

Crime

Man faces kidnapping, assault charges after woman escapes at Webb Road Flea Market

Local

Natoli promoted to assistant county manager, will retain human resources director title

Education

Attendance restriction lifted for RSS graduation ceremonies

Business

Rowan Chamber of Commerce will host in-person Power in Partnership on Thursday

Business

Rowan EDC will undergo name change, alter board requirements with updates to bylaws

Nation/World

Israel strikes Gaza tunnels as truce efforts remain elusive

Nation/World

Supreme Court to take up major abortion rights challenge

Nation/World

Biden boosting world vaccine sharing commitment to 80M doses

Crime

Man charged for stowing away on Norfolk Southern train, impeding railroad operations

Local

Group will protest treatment of Georgia woman during 2019 traffic stop

Crime

Man overdoses at Piedmont Correctional Institute

Crime

Sheriff’s Office: Two men escape from jail, found in bushes on Fulton Street

Ask Us

Ask Us: When will North Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue be resurfaced?

Local

Political Notebook: Rowan’s lawmakers pass 140 bills into the opposite chamber before deadline

Local

Police chief to present use of force policy; city manager to present 2021-22 budget

Crime

Blotter: Rockwell man arrested on charges of felony larceny, possession of stolen vehicle

Coronavirus

CDC director says mask turnaround based solely on science

News

Catawba College hosts three in-person commencement ceremonies

Local

With high case loads causing numerous staff departures, Child Protective Services seeks more positions

Education

Livingstone College graduates celebrate ‘crossing the finish line’ during commencement celebration

Coronavirus

Rowan sees 4 new COVID-19 deaths as mask mandate lifted, vaccines administered continue decline

Local

Spencer is latest town updating its development ordinance