Innovative technology: Adobe Scan mobile app
By Amber Covington
Rowan Public Library
Adobe Scan is one of the latest mobile applications that can be used by anyone in need of creating a scanned copy of a physical document, form, image, business card or whiteboard. All you need is a mobile device to download Adobe Scan from the App Store (Apple devices) or Google Play (Android devices).
Each day at the library there are customers in need of sending an email or fax to complete a business transaction in a timely manner. Sometimes fax numbers do not connect or simply do not work because the customer has provided the phone line instead of a fax number.
Frequently, we have customers who need to print and send a fax or email on the same day. With our mobile wireless printing service with Printeron, patrons can simply send an email or upload their print job before arriving to the library, walk in to pay and release the print job, and use Adobe Scan to turn that document into a digital one, PDF or JPEG format. Then they can send directly through an email app on your mobile device without standing in line for a fax.
Adobe Scan is available for free and can be downloaded within seconds. Our library staff will provide assistance for anyone who wants to use our mobile wireless printing, downloading Adobe Scan, and sending an email from their mobile app at our three library branches.
Children’s programs: Begin Sept. 7 and run through Nov. 18.
• Baby Time, Headquarters, Wednesdays 10 a.m. Highly interactive, 30-minute program for children from birth to 23 months old and their adult caregivers.
• Baby-Toddler Time, East, Mondays, 10:30 a.m. and South, Wednesdays, 10:30 a.m. Interactive 30-minute program for children from birth to 35 months and their adult caregivers.
• Toddler Time, Interactive, 30-minute program for children 18-35 months and their adult caregivers, headquarters, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m.
• Preschoolers, 30-45 minute program for children 3-5 years old and adult caregivers, Headquarters, Thursday, 10:30 a.m.; East, Thursday, 10:30 a.m.; South, Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m.
• Bilingual Storytime, Headquarters, Mondays, 10:30 a.m. Weekly storytime will help children learn basic Spanish vocabulary; geared for babies to preschool ages. For more information, call Aida at 704-216-8234.
• Noodlehead Storytime, headquarters, Thursdays, 4 p.m.; East Tuesdays, 3:30 p.m. For children pre-K to fifth grade.
• Art class — pre-K to fifth grade can work on art projects; 30-45 minutes. Headquarters, Thursdays, 4:30 p.m.; East, Tuesdays, 4 p.m.
Library Card Sign-Up Month: Library cards are priceless – do you have yours? At RPL, cards are free and, when kept in good standing, offer access to RPL’s circulating collection, computer labs and online resources and materials. Contact your nearest branch for more details or visit RPL’s website.
Scavenger Hunt: U.S. Presidents, Headquarters, South, Sept. 1-30. Can you find the pictures of the United States presidents that are hidden throughout the children’s room? Complete the challenge and get a prize. For more information, call 704-216-8234.
Scavenger Hunt: Past Presidents, East, Sept 1-30. Discover little known facts about our past presidents! Find them all and be entered into a raffle contest for a literary-themed prize. For more information, call 704-216-7842.
Design Your Own Phone Grip: Sept. 3, 4 p.m., headquarters; Sept. 5, 4 p.m., East. Customize your own round, adhesive phone or tablet grip using stickers and other craft supplies. This teen program is designed for rising sixth through 12th graders. For more information, call Sydney at 704-216-8229.
Literacy: Call the Rowan County Literacy Council at 704-216-8266 for more information on teaching or receiving literacy tutoring for English speakers or for those for whom English is a second language.