• 52°

Rowan weather: Going to be a scorcher

The heat wave is upon us. With a high of 94, the heat index will make it feel more like 100-105. And it’s another Code Orange Air Quality Alert day, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Ground level ozone will approach or exceed unhealthy standards. Light winds will do little to move air around.

It will be mostly sunny and 94 today. Then we’ll have a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight. It will be mostly cloudy and 71.

Independence Day will be a mixed bag of weather. It will be partly sunny and 91, with calm wind in the morning becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon. We’ll have a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3 p.m. A tenth to quarter inch of rain is possible.

Thursday night also has a 60% chance of showers and storms, mostly before 10 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 72, with east southeast wind around 5 mph calming after midnight. A quarter to half inch of rain is possible.

Friday, too, will have a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after noon. It will be mostly cloudy and 86, with south wind around 5 mph in the morning. The chance of rain Friday night will be 50%, with mostly cloudy skies and a low of 71.

Saturday, it’s back to a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 88. The chance of showers and storms Saturday night will be 40%, with a low of 71.

Sunday will be partly sunny and 88, with a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms after 10 a.m. Sunday night’s chance of showers and storms will be 40%, with a low of 69.

We’ll still have a 40% chance of showers and thunderstorms on Monday, which will be partly sunny and 87. The low will be 68, with a 30% chance of showers and storms.

Tuesday will be mostly sunny and 85, with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Comments

High School

Salisbury High bucks historical trend in dominant shutout of West Rowan

Enochville

Garage declared total loss after Enochville fire

Crime

Cooper, N.C. prison officials agree to release 3,500 inmates

Coronavirus

Two more COVID-19 deaths reported in Rowan, six for the week

Crime

Blotter: Man brandishes AR-15, runs over motorcycle at Rockwell-area gas station

Crime

Salisbury man charged with exploitation of minor

Crime

Road rage incident results in assault charges

Local

Dukeville lead testing results trickle in, more participation needed

Education

Faith Academy interviewing staff, preparing site for fall opening

News

Volunteers work around obstacles, alter procedures to offer free tax services to those in need

Education

Education shoutouts

Local

Retired Marine gets recognition for toy collection efforts

Local

March issue of Salisbury the Magazine is now available

Education

Five get Dunbar School Heritage Scholarships

Education

Education briefs: Salisbury Academy fourth-graders think big as inventors

Education

Bakari Sellers keynote speaker at Livingstone College Founder’s Day program

Nation/World

Biden aims to distribute masks to millions in ‘equity’ push

Nation/World

Chief: Capitol Police were warned of violence before riot

Nation/World

GOP rallies solidly against Democrats’ virus relief package

Nation/World

FDA says single-dose shot from Johnson & Johnson prevents severe COVID

High School

Coaches, lawmakers react to governor’s order expanding sporting event capacity

Coronavirus

Three new COVID-19 deaths, positives remain below triple digits

BREAKING NEWS

Gov. Cooper announces end to curfew, changes to restrictions affecting bars, high school sports

Crime

Blotter: Two charged after call about package